1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Timeouts in soccer?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Songbird, Aug 20, 2008.

1. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

The thing is, it's not always the state.

It's these guys: http://www.nfhs.org/web/2006/08/about_us.aspx

I spoke with one of them once, because they were changing other rules and our coaches were pissed, hence a story opportunity. He said the NFHS wanted to make the rules more standard, like other American sports.

2. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Timeout: If you want to see some of the best high school soccer in the country, cross the Connecticut and watch Hanover High. It's a treat.

OK, time-in.

3. Pastor

Pastor Active Member

One of the most reliable things in sports is that soccer will last two hours. If I go to the bar to watch just a game, I won't need to allocate more time for time-outs.

To top it off, I'm just not sure why you would need to call a time-out. You should cover dead ball scenarios in practice. The run of play is always about getting into open space; if you call a time-out there is no longer a run of play. If a player isn't playing up to par, you have halftime to talk to them.

It just isn't a good idea.

4. Beaker

Beaker Active Member

You can go almost anywhere in CT and see great high school soccer.

5. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

The NFHS is comprised of a bunch of morans.

6. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

That was the impression I got.

7. Songbird

I meant the Connecticut River, but I've heard Conn. has decent soccer.

8. Beaker

Beaker Active Member

I know what you meant, Xan, I was just throwing my two cents in. I've heard Hanover has good soccer as well.

9. Songbird

With inflation, your 2 cents are worth 18 here ;)

Who's the best program in Conn.?

10. Beaker

Beaker Active Member

Well, I could be a real homer and say my hometown, Wethersfield, but also Glastonbury, Simsbury, Rocky Hill, Westport, Hall-West Hartford, Suffield, and a bunch more of the Fairfield/Greenwich area schools. Don't know as much about the eastern part of the state, but I do remember going to tourneys in Rhody as a kid, so there must be some good programs over that way.

11. CentralIllinoisan

CentralIllinoisan Active Member

I must hear from BBAM, immediately! :D

12. Shoeless Joe

Shoeless Joe Active Member

I was having a discussion a year or so ago with a ref at halftime. We were just chatting about rule differences between state high school rules and FIFA.

He actually said, "Yeah, I just wish that FIFA bunch would stay out of it."

My mind wanted to explain to him FIFA is the world governing body of the sport but my jaw was on the ground.

Draft saved Draft deleted