1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Timeouts in soccer?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Songbird, Aug 20, 2008.

1. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

I still read the rival paper even though I've moved away. Just saw this today.

You've got to be kidding me, Vermont. Timeouts in soccer? I loved the first quote by Woodstock's coach about how he'd laugh at the coach who does use one.

One of the things that makes soccer unique, and beautiful, is running time. No timesouts. Game time just keeps going till halftime, or the end of the game.

Terrible idea.

http://www.vnews.com/08172008/5006237.htm

I'm sure there are soccer fans here who'd like to weigh in.

(BTW, I'm a big, big fan of Sass. Covered him for 4 years. Great dude who talks in soccer parables and always uses British terms to talk soccer. Always. Old school. He coaches at a school that is football-first and everything else, yet has built a nice program in 25 years.)

2. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

Adding timeouts would be a worse gimmick than the shootout was in MLS.

3. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Hell, I'm still angry at the high school association here allowing unlimited substitutions. But timeouts would be even worse.

4. Tell the coaches to teach their kids to dive a la Ronaldo -- all the timeouts you want

F'ing Ree-dick-u-lous

5. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

That's worse than the change we had last year. Three referees on the field, like a basketball crew, for high school games.

No linesmen.

6. Beaker

Beaker Active Member

This would be awful.

7. Angola!

Angola! Guest

I love the shootout.

But I'm also a new soccer fan.

8. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Wha ... wha ... WHAT!?!

How in the name of Cantona do they call offside?

9. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

It was bad enough I worked in a state which wanted the ARs to be armed with whistle as well as the referee, and to rotate spots on the pitch in the course of a match.

I think we've just found a more idiotic suggestion in soccer right here. Timeouts? Complete joke.

What will help is when state associations and such stop messing with sports with which they don't know or care to understand.

10. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

They rotate around the play, like basketball referees. One is meant to be on the last defender at all times. And, yes, they all have whistles.

11. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Similar to the three-whistle system with rotating officials idea that one state used.

This state probably never thought about the AR's role in determining offside infractions.

12. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

Soccer has time-ins?

Draft saved Draft deleted