1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Time

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by boxingnut4324, Oct 11, 2013.

1. boxingnut4324

boxingnut4324 Member

How the fuck does Time still get away doing sports stories? I haven't read one in years that isn't condescending or simply filled with factual errors. You'd think one of the world's premier magazines could get someone better than a stooge like Sean Gregory. I know it's not a sports magazine but at least find someone who can write to the fucking standard. Rant over.

2. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

Hanging on in quiet desperation is the English way.

3. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Examples? Links to this condesencion or errors?
    Not saying you're wrong. I can't remember the last time I looked at a Time or a Newsweek.

4. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

I'm guessing he's referring to this article:

[​IMG]

Not sure what the specific complaint is though.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  5. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

6. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Gregory went to the same high school I did, class of '94:

https://twitter.com/FordhamPrep/status/376329558938886144

7. jackfinarelli

jackfinarelli Well-Known Member

Might I suggest that it has been more than a decade since most folks considered Time "one of the world's premier magazines"?

8. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Time's NASCAR story last week was a little simplistic, among other things:

I mean, that just reeks of simplicity. 20 seconds of research gets you the right answer: He got the nickname years ago by slipping his tire during dirt races and later by often blowing his engine. So it was the things he did WRONG that earned him the nickname.

9. boxingnut4324

boxingnut4324 Member

Exactly. It's shit like this that continually pisses me off. Also, later in the story they referenced the dirt track that Stewart owns in Indiana. Plug "Tony Stewart dirt track" into a google search and you'll know in two seconds that it's Ohio, not Indiana. I keep giving the magazine chances with its sports but they constantly write for the layman and fuck up simple facts. If I can take two minutes to compile Johnny Smith's rushing stats from this season a writer for Time should be able to take two seconds to fact check.

Draft saved Draft deleted