1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Time/Yahoo finance opens newspaper dead pool

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by ServeItUp, Mar 9, 2009.

1. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

That was the one that did it to me...

2. beardpuller

beardpuller Active Member

We're No. 1! We're No. 1!

I just always wanted to say that.

Also, I am really getting sick of this sort of shallow, gossipy speculation, which basically treats my career and my life as glibly as it treats Britney Spears' crotch. Simon used the word "cavalier," and I agree.
    Not that this conversion couldn't happen, of course. But the fact is, a lot of our readers buy the paper every day at newsstands, I think at least partly because they work in enviornments (construction sites, etc.) where they can't just click the Website if they decide at any given moment they want to read about the Phillies.
    If this internet-only thing happens, many thousands of willing readers will just be forced out of the habit. That's really what the industry needs right now.

3. silentbob

silentbob Member

Poor argument, Beard,

So what if readers still buy newspapers at newsstands. People still used the rotary telephone, but that couldn't save it either.

I am amazed that people are still holding on to the "people need newspapers" argument. This dilemma isn't about what people need. It's about what the economy will support. And right now, it aint newspapers.

4. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Yeah, saying that it is "one of several large papers fighting for circulation and advertising in the New York City area" isn't exactly a newsflash or a reason for possible demise.

It's like this had to be a top-10 list because everything's a top-10 list.

5. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I was stunned to see Miami's circ at 220,000. That's about half what I would have guessed.

6. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

Although I feel incredibly badly for the people who work at newspapers on this and similar lists, this affects all of us deeply.

Every person laid off at a major metro takes a job the next step down the food chain, which means the person who would have gotten that job takes a step down. Eventually, it trickles down to schmoes like me.

7. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

You're right, of course, but he speaks a lot of truth too. In ways he alluded to and others, the people who are buying the product are getting screwed in favor of those who don't buy it. That's odd, and a little hard to explain to them, no matter how you slice it.

8. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

There is a next step down the food chain from newspaperman?

And if so, who's hiring? ???

9. Desk_dude

Desk_dude Member

The Herald's circulation has gone done, but that figure I believe is during the summer when the snowbirds aren't around. Also, the El Herald has separate circulation numbers.

10. clutchcargo

clutchcargo Active Member

One kick I get out of this, and that's a stretch, is that Time is carring this story as though it's in a great position to be critiquing the nespaper industry and being the messenger of passing judgment on our industry.

That said, I find it interesting as to how I subscribe to Time and how skinny it has gotten, with an obviously huge drop of ad revenue.

Maybe next month they can write about the weekly magazine market and include themselevs on that list of 10. You think?

11. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

PD's editor says this article is "full of shit", or something along those lines:

http://blog.cleveland.com/metro/2009/03/publisher_calls_report_baseles.html

12. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

And the writer of that list is the son of a former Akron Beacon Journal reporter/editor. So of course he throws Cleveland against the wall.

Draft saved Draft deleted