1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Time: Why New Orleans Still Isn't Safe

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by dog428, Aug 9, 2007.

1. dog428

dog428 Active Member

2. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

I have a friend who went to New Orleans on vacation early this year. She said that there are still areas that are still disaster areas, places that FEMA has not gotten to yet. She showed me heartbreaking photos of obliterated houses, neighborhoods reduced to rubble.

3. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

And most of FEMA has been redeployed.

My buddy who works there has been gone for a long time...

4. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

While I appreciate that FEMA should have been better, or at least competent, isn't local leadership at fault?

5. tyler durden 71351

tyler durden 71351 Active Member

That article hit things dead-on. No political b.s., just the straight angry dope. Sadly, we're coming up on the second anniversary, so there will be a lot of spin while various politicos on the federal, state and local level try to tell us what a wonderful job they've done in rebuilding the city.

6. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

Let's start with FEMA's lack of competence before, during and after Katrina before blaming local leadership.

7. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

I was making no political judgement whatsoever, abbott, just pointing out that the bulk of FEMA's people have left the area.

8. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Without letting FEMA & Bush off the hook for not giving a shit about Americans in trouble, the local powers clearly are incompetent

9. dog428

dog428 Active Member

Have you all read the story?

I think if you'll do that, you'll find it quite easy to assign blame. And singling out a particular group probably isn't the best choice.

10. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

There's a shitload of blame to go around. Federal and state.

11. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

It's not an either/or, it's everybody. And the story makes a compelling case on how we're making the same mistakes over again.

12. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

It's not easy to apportion blame, nor is it really necessary. But who's to blame? Pretty much everyone involved: local officials, U.S. reps and senators from the state, the Corps of Engineers, FEMA, etc.

Kudos to Bush for threatening a veto of a clearly stupid Corps bill that's in the works. It's one of the few times you'll hear me saying that to Bush.

Draft saved Draft deleted