1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Time-Warner to dump 19 channels. UPDATE: Blackout Averted!

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by ifilus, Dec 31, 2008.

1. Re: So long, Colbert & Stewart: Time-Warner to dump 19 channels 1/1/09.

I will stick with DirecTV and enjoy watching football on the NFL Network and baseball on MASN. I'll never go back to cable, although I could be persuaded to go Verizon's FiOS or AT&T's UVerse if I lived in their territories.

2. Wenders

Wenders Well-Known Member

Re: So long, Colbert & Stewart: Time-Warner to dump 19 channels 1/1/09.

Yeah, we were watching TV last night when it started scrolling across on VH1. At first, we thought it was a hoax until we Googled it.

I need my Nickelodeon. Please don't take away my Nickelodeon! Oh, and my TV Land. And VH1. And CMT.

3. Goldeaston

Goldeaston Guest

a la carte picking will likely never happen because too many niche channels would never be chosen. Local cable companies make too much money on small advertisers who buy packages that run at random in local advertising slots. Many of these go on the niche channels, which have open spots during better hours (ie, not in the wee hours over night). The local companies make too much money off these ads to ever agree to this.

4. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

Conservative cable companies get their revenge. lol

Just kidding. This sucks. It happened with our cable company here about 15 years ago -- wouldn't carry the CBS affiliate for a couple days (it wasn't Comcast back then). They got bitched at by a lot of people.

5. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

WTF is MTV Tr3s?

6. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

It's the spanish MTV.

7. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

That area has Time-Warner?

Weird ...

Lexington -- at least when I lived there -- was Insight, which was pretty awesome because of the On-Demand offerings.

8. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Bright House is in the same boat...

from the BHM news... Separately, Bright House Networks cable customers in Birmingham are at risk of losing 11 stations such as Comedy Central, MTV and Nickelodeon if a deal with parent company Viacom is not reached before midnight.

9. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

My parents are in Garrard County and they have Windstream.

10. Birdscribe

Birdscribe Active Member

This is one reason I ditched Time Warner for DirecTV when we moved to our new house two years ago this coming January.

It seemed that every year, some cable channel(s) had a turf war with a cable operator over carriage fees or (fill in the greed reason here).

That, and when I inquired into digital cable plans, I was handed a sheet by my less-than-helpful cable functionary that was only slightly easier than Sanskrit to decipher.

Fuck them. Fuck all of them.

11. ifilus

ifilus Well-Known Member

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2009/01/01/time-warner-viacom-reach_n_154614.html

12. HackyMcHack

HackyMcHack Member

The game of chicken, played once again.

Draft saved Draft deleted