1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Time Traveller discovered at Charlie Chaplin movie premiere...

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by TigerVols, Oct 26, 2010.

1. Brian

Brian Well-Known Member

The mind-blowing capabilities of Quantum Mechanics is what made Inception too tame for me. A few layers within a dream world seems boring when matched up against the notion that every possibility is played out in another dimension trillions upon trillons of times.

2. RedSmithClone

RedSmithClone Active Member

all this time travel talk is leading you all from the real truth.

This is an alien contacting the mothership to tell all that the human race is ripe for domination by their smarter life forms.

3. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

False alarm.

http://www.csmonitor.com/Science/2010/1028/Charlie-Chaplin-time-traveler-debunked-It-s-just-a-hearing-aid

4. TrooperBari

TrooperBari Well-Known Member

The absence of evidence is not necessarily evidence of absence. Besides, there have been hypotheses put forward saying that even if one could go back in time, one could only observe and not necessarily interact.

If memory serves, the current understanding of M theory suggests that a parallel universe exists for every possibility but we can never actually visit those alternate realities. Even if that is the case, it's fun to think about.

5. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

According to Garrett Lisi, reality looks like this:

[​IMG]

That accounts for the four fundamental forces and as yet undiscovered forces of physics interacting twisting over four-dimensional space-time and following that curvature.

However, that only explains one reality. It's much more complicated because each reality has an infinite number of quantum points or moments. Each of those quantum points/moments creates a parallel reality.
    Each parallel reality consists of an infinite number of quantum points/moments, and each of those creates a parallel reality.
    And so on.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  6. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

This thread is making me want to smoke some cheeba.

7. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

Vote 'Yes' on Prop. 19!

8. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

Larry Kroger: Okay. That means that our whole solar system could be, like
    one tiny atom in the fingernail of some other giant being.

This is too much!

That means one tiny atom in my fingernail could be,
    could be one little tiny universe.

Could l buy some pot from you?

9. bydesign77

bydesign77 Active Member

So you're telling me that in some alternate reality, I actually scored with that hot cheerleader on spring break? But I can never visit that reality? Why would I even want to know that?

10. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

I wish people would take what I say this seriously when I'm actually being serious. :)

11. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

Well, I don't know how it played out with the cheerleader, but let's take a hypothetical.
    The cheerleader asks you to have sex with her.
    In our reality, you turned her down to go play Dungeons & Dragons, but in a cool, less pathetic reality you accepted the offer.
    In our reality, you went home and your halfling mage got killed by a mind flayer.
    However, from that moment in the cool, less pathetic reality an almost infite number of new things happened, spawning new realities in turn.
    You went and had sex with the cheerleader.
    You accepted the offer but her temporary delirium subsided so she changed her mind.
    The two of you drove off to have sex but got hit by a train.

Etc. ad infinitum.

And you exist in each of those realities.

However, if your current mind is not cognisant of any other reality, is the you in those other realities really you?

12. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Maybe ByDesign just got chlamydia from the cheerleader.

Draft saved Draft deleted