1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Time Traveller discovered at Charlie Chaplin movie premiere...

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by TigerVols, Oct 26, 2010.

1. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

The problem with going back in time is the paradox.

If you did go back, your mere presence there will change the present in ways you cannot imagine: the molecules you breathe are altered, the fly you swat will not have millions of ancestors, the money you put into circulation (assuming you use the currency of the period) will down the line cause somebody who would've gone bankrupt to stay in business.

The crap you take in 1930 will feed the ecosystem in a way it otherwise would never have been, and the changes will just radiate from there.

Scientists explain the paradox away as "creating a parallel universe."

2. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

If traveling back in time was possible we'd know it because at some point in the future somebody would have done it, letting us know it was possible. The fact that we wonder if it is possible is proof that it's not. ;)

3. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Or maybe you're just being shunned by time travelers with that negative attitude of yours.

4. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

So you're OK with the idea of a possible time traveler, but not the idea that we would have figured out how to make a phone that doesn't need a cell tower to relay the signal? :D

5. Jake_Taylor

Well, it looked like an Iphone so I figured she must not be from <i>too</i> far in the future. :D

6. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  7. Wenders

Wenders Well-Known Member

SOMEbody's sounds a little sad that no one from the future has come to visit him....

8. Jake_Taylor

Nah, It's just fun trying to wrap my tiny little mind around the idea of time travel.

9. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

Every quantum point creates a parallel universe.
    Everything that can happen does happen.

10. bydesign77

bydesign77 Active Member

That just made my head hurt.

11. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Whoa

12. Suicide Squeezer

Suicide Squeezer Active Member

If we do find a way to travel to the past, I hope we find someone a bit more capable than the pigeon lady from "Home Alone 2."

[​IMG]

Draft saved Draft deleted