1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Time to talk about The Wire-No. 49 (contains spoilers)

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Stupid, Nov 28, 2006.

1. Dedo

Dedo Member

Yes, Oz guys turn up on those shows all the time. I still catch myself referring to Lt. Daniels as Mobay.

And Adibisi lives...

2. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

It's driving me bonkers that I can't click on a thread about The Wire with more than 50 responses on it. Damn it. Sucks being one of the poor kids over here.

Some hilarious lines from episode 49, though.

-Method Man saying that Omar's lady pulling guns out her pussy was "unseemly."

-Bunk, drunk stumbling around in a vacant, saying he needed some "braille money" because he didn't want to accidentally pull out a "25 dollar bill" and give it to Lester when he only owed him a $20 from their bet.

-Norman singing "we won't go until we get some, we won't go until we get some" was fabulous. He may be the best minor character on the show.

Sharrod's death, though, was one of the rare times on The Wire where you could see something coming from a mile away, and then it happened. Really didn't feel up to the storytelling standards of this show. I felt awful for Bubs, but I also felt like Pelecanos and Burns kind of missed with that one.

3. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

I feel your pain, DD.

But I also like the aspect of waiting for Sunday night. My week is done, a new one about to start, and I take a few hours completely off and reward myself with the Wire.

Or maybe I'm just rationalizing.

4. PeteyPirate

PeteyPirate Guest

Loosers.

5. Double Down

I kind of like the waiting too, but I miss the discussion. I love hearing what other people think. (Like you pointing out that Bubbles makes his bed. Totally missed that one.) By the time we watch Episode 50, it will be just you and me posting on that thread, Zeke. I guess the upside is, Pube won't be around, calling me a cocksucker or whatnot.

6. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

49 also featured Herc's likely only redeeming moment.

In Wire code, that means he's as good as gone.

But don't fret, DD. You and I and the rest of the proles can have a fine discussion starting Monday morning. What we lack in access to technology we make up for in general insight, charm and good looks.

7. Double Down

We are Wire fans, Zeke. So no lies between us. We aren't the greatest posters. And we aren't the worst. We put down some good posts and dog a few bad ones now and then. But mutherfucker, we have our moments. Yes, we fucking do. You remember your analysis of The Greek? The purest embodiment of the evils of capitalism? You brought that post home. And me with the stuff about the kids being echoes of D'Angelo, Avon and Stringer? Late one night when I should have been in bed? That was you and me at our best. And Season 2, with the stevedores. We took a lot of hot-headed posters and cooled them. Yes indeed. We won as much as we lost. Much as any of us. Did we piss off a poster or three? No fucking doubt. I think the last thread, people actually kind of got used to us, thank god. Did we post the wrong shit now and then? Did we bust balls and modify our posts and forget to compliment one another, and go after the wrong fucking posters for the wrong fucking reasons, every now and then? Who fucking doesn't? Christ. Were we as full of shit as every other sad sack mutherfucker wearing the badge of an SportsJournalists.com Wire fan? Ab-sa-fucking-lout-ly. Our shit was as weak as theirs, no question. But we posted, after each episode, standing up for all those without OnDemand. All of em. On SportsJournalists.com. Working. Sharing a dark corner of the American experiment.

We were called. We served. We. Are. Counted.

Old King Cole.

8. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Beautiful, Double.

Let's go get a taste.

(I actually weirded out a group of my buddies Saturday night, when, preparing to make a run to the par, I pointed at them and said, "You up?")

9. Dedo

Dedo Member

Nice speech, DD. Now, everybody sing!

The Cadillac stood by the house
    And the yanks they were within
    And the tinker boys they hissed advice
    'Hot-wire her with a pin'
    Then we turned and shook as we had a look
    In the room where the dead man lay
    So big Jim Dwyer made his last trip
    To the shores where his father's laid

And fifteen minutes later
    We had our first taste of whiskey
    There was uncles giving lectures
    On ancient Irish history
    The men all started telling jokes
    And the women they got frisky
    BY five o'clock in the evening
    Every bastard there was pisky

Fare thee well going away
    There's nothing left to say
    Farewell to New York City boys
    To Boston and PA
    He took them out
    With a well-aimed clout
    He was often heard to say
    I'm a free born man of the USA

He fought the champ in Pittsburgh
    And he slashed him to the ground
    He took on Tiny Tartanella
    And it only went one round
    He never had no time for reds
    For drink or dice or whores
    But he never threw a fight
    When the fight was right
    So they sent him to the war

Fare the well gone away
    With a slonte Joe and Erin go
    My love's in Amerikay
    They're calling out the rosary
    Spanish wine from far away

This morning on the harbour
    When I said goodbye to you
    I remember how I’d swore
    That I'd come back to you one day
    And as the sunset came to meet
    The evening on the hill
    I told you I'd always love you
    I always did, I always will

Fare thee well gone away
    'cept to say adieu
    To your eyes as blue
    As the water in the bay
    To big Jim Dwyer
    The man of wire
    Who was often heard to say

10. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

I'll be there on Sunday, too. Fuckabuncha Charter! :mad:

11. Amen. Twatwaffles, every one of em! (edited to reflect TGD's new favorite curse word)

12. STLIrish

STLIrish Active Member

Post of the year, Double Down. Post of the year.

Draft saved Draft deleted