1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Time to talk about The Wire-No. 49 (contains spoilers)

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Stupid, Nov 28, 2006.

1. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

FWIW, Episode 50 hasn't been added yet.

Maybe there won't be a new episode next week.

2. Dedo

Dedo Member

I, too, just saw this tonight. One thing I found interesting was there were four different scenes in which an adult tried to reassure one of the boys by touching/grabbing his arm. There was:

-- Prezbo with Dukie in the classroom.
    -- Bunny with Namond in the station house.
    -- Cutty with Michael on the corner.
    -- Carver with Randy in the burn unit.

Not sure what the writers/producers were saying with this, but I like to think it was another sign that all four of the boys are growing up. In all four instances, the kid realized there wasn't much the grown-up could do to protect him.

No sense pretending someone is looking after them anymore. They're on their own now.

3. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

I saw that Ehrlich was in the credits, but I thought that maybe they had a scene with Carcetti in the Gov's office and it got cut, but he was left in the credits.
    And mucho gracias to the person who posted the link to the slate article on The Wire. It was a great read.

4. Columbo

Columbo Active Member

Also shows that a man touching a boy ain't necessarily a fucking perve.

5. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Telling detail of the week that once again proves this show's brilliance, especially in the use of the understated:

Bubbles makes his bed.

Almost made up for being able to see Sharrod's death coming from a mile away.

6. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Bubbles deserves a better fate.

7. Columbo

Columbo Active Member

One thing this show is definitely not about is "deserves".

8. JR

JR Well-Known Member

I know, I know.
    Just sayin'

9. Columbo

Columbo Active Member

Andre Royo keeps getting made up a couple hours a day when he's on that set and plays the hell out of that character.

10. JR

JR Well-Known Member

He was on a Law&Order--I don't know whether it was a new one or not. Law & Order is on our TV constantly and they all become one big sloppy mess after a while.

They should have their own network.

11. Dedo

Dedo Member

JR,
    I seldom see a rerun of a Law & Order in which I don't recognize an actor from The Wire or The Sopranos. One big reason for this, I've read, is that all of those shows are taped on the east coast, and the pool of actors there isn't as big as the one in Hollywood.

Colombo,
    I'm just glad Chris wasn't around for any of those "touching" incidents...

12. Columbo

Columbo Active Member

Oz, as well....

I had no idea Mr. Ecko from Lost was Adibisi until I read that recently.

Draft saved Draft deleted