1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Time To Root For Failure

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Moondoggy, Mar 16, 2009.

1. Moondoggy

Moondoggy Member

I was reading through the Seattle P-I's self-obituary when I ran upon these two paragraphs:

"In a news release, Hearst CEO Frank Bennack Jr. said, "Our goal now is to turn seattlepi.com into the leading news and information portal in the region."

The new operation will be more than a newspaper online, Steven Swartz, president of Hearst Newspapers, said. The so-called "community platform" will feature breaking news, columns from prominent Seattle residents, community databases, photo galleries, 150 citizen bloggers and links to other journalistic outlets."

Community platform (barf). Columns from "prominent Seattle residents." "Citizen bloggers." I'm going to be sick!

May this rat-bastard die a thousand deaths. We must root for a colossal collapse of this monstrosity, if only to to prove to the other chains no doubt looking at this model that IT WILL NEVER WORK! People need dispassionate, well-researched information. They need informed commentary. They don't need some fucking "community activist" with a disregard for professional journalism standards.

The Steven Swartz's of this world wouldn't know true journalism if it bit them in the ass. They are fucking beancounters, so the market must speak to them - and others waiting to imitate them - in the only language they understand. Nothing against the worker bees who are charged with making this debacle work, but it has to fail. Perhaps if it does, other chains will rethink whether it's wise to kill an entire industry because the economy sucks and some focus groups say they'd like to read more positive stories.
  2. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

Hurm. Well, somebody's gonna have jobs there so I won't root for it to fail.

As I understand it, though, the P-I's community relations weren't that hot. So you do wonder how the new emphasis will work for them.
  3. podunk press

podunk press Active Member

It'll work.

Podunk uses community journalists.

I don't see why Seattle can't.

People want a voice and will write for (almost) free.

Will people care? I have no idea, but at this point, anything is worth a shot.
  4. luckyducky

luckyducky Guest

FWIW, the 'citizen bloggers' are already in place in most cases. This is one of the reasons the P-I's website is successful -- they have a lot of blogs, many done by readers/citizens on random topics. One I used to read was 'bus girl' about a girl who took the bus for everything. IIRC, she even met her hubby on a bus and ended up taking the bus to the hospital when it was time to have their baby.
  5. SouthernStyle

SouthernStyle Member

prominent residents? why would joe schmoe care about richie rich's opinion?

As for this citizen journalism crapola: If someone is dumb enough to trust this trash, then they deserve the long-con that's getting run on them. And then there's the libel suits. Boy, I hope there's a bunch of 'em.
  6. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

community journalists? yeah, that has success written all over it.
  7. Magic In The Night

Magic In The Night Active Member

I CANNOT wait for the first lawsuit based on a f-up by a "community journalist." Ah, what a day in court that will be.
  8. luckyducky

luckyducky Guest

They've tapped a former Seattle mayor, a former local congressman and another local former politico.

This thread pisses me off -- I can understand rooting against the citizen journalist crap, but the P-I will still have some journos there. And for as few jobs as there are available now, can't we at least hope than 10 or 20 or however many more of us remain employed doing what we're passionate about than standing in the unemployment line? Aren't there enough of us already there?
  9. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

i'm sorry, ducks. if the PI chooses to bastardize the profession, fuck 'em.
  10. DCaraviello

DCaraviello Member

Scanning the list of "reader blogs," they're all very narrow in focus and concentrate very heavily on lifestyle themes. Sports is ... thin, to put it best. Blogs focusing on flyfishing, body building, MMA, running and the like. A few general-interest sports blogs, none of them updated in the past few months. You'd never know that Huskies Pac-10 title run even happened. Hopefully this is not what they're relying on for "coverage." Or maybe it is.

Anyway, here's the future:

11. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

12. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

What are you talking about? Haven't you seen the disclaimer?

That so protects the PI from any lawsuits.
Draft saved Draft deleted