1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Time to play help the color challenged again

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Moderator1, Mar 2, 2008.

1. crusoes

crusoes Active Member

My mom told me once it was a pity they didn't make, as she put it, "Garanimals for ga-rownups." I think this was the day I came home from school with a striped shirt and plaid pants. It was the 70s. There were way too many choices.

2. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

It would be fine. Especially with burgundy shoes and belt.

I am not a big fan of pink. Finally bought my first pink shirt a couple months ago, and I've worn it three times but haven't tried it with olive yet. I'm trying to get in touch with my feminine side.

3. Flash

Flash Guest

Here are some good tips for you fellas:

http://mensfashion.about.com/od/wardrobebasics/a/6rules.htm

4. Frank_Ridgeway

While I agree with most of what he writes here, the headline is bad in that they are neither "important" nor "rules."

There are some regional differences, too. Pleats are far more traditional in the South than in the Northeast.

I disagree about watches. There is a segment of those who dress traditional American who wear good suits and shoes, yet wear a Timex on a grosgrain band as sort of a way of saying that jewelry is foppish, watches should be utilitarian and wealth should not be flaunted. I have on a Timex right now. Tells time accurately and is simple in appearance.

5. Flash

Flash Guest

Yes, that and the belt-matching-shoes thing can be taken overboard.

[​IMG]

6. Frank_Ridgeway

My understanding is that only applies to dress shoes and belts, and that brown does not have to be a perfect match, just brown. Brown with brown, burgundy with burgundy, black with black. Textures should match -- no shiny belt with suede shoes, no suede belt with shiny shoes.

If I were to wear white bucks -- and I never have, but it is sometimes tempting -- I probably would wear a grosgrain (nylon ribbon) belt rather than a white belt. That would be too Colonel Sanders And Tom Wolfe Go To The Disco for my taste.

7. JR

JR Well-Known Member

First time I've ever disagreed with Frank. Difference of opinion.

Although I donn't wear a watch any more (time is all around you) I think that unless your daily wardrobe is a t-shirt and jeans, a Timex with a nylon band is just a fashion-no-no.

I'm not saying you have to go Rolodex but you can find some perfectly fashionable (understated as you want) watches in the $200-$300 range that don't look out of place if you normally wear a suit/sports jacket/blazer to work .

8. Flash

Flash Guest

Rolodex? You want to wear a Rolodex on your wrist? Does it get heavy? :D

[​IMG]

9. Frank_Ridgeway

Fair enough, JR. I have a Hamilton that needs to be repaired, but I doubt anyone could tell the difference between the $285 Hamilton and $35 Timex from more than a foot away. It's the Daniel Patrick Moynihan look. He wore sack suits and grosgrain watchbands, and I think it was a Timex Marlin on them. I like the Hamilton -- it's classic and simple and I got it for $80 on overstock.com -- but it's been one thing after another with it. I'm in no hurry to repair my good watch.

10. HC

HC Well-Known Member

WB ... try putting some vodka on it. Don't know why it works but the costume people use that trick all the time, especially for costumes that can't be laundered.

11. JR

JR Well-Known Member

I'm old enough to know what a Rolodex is but not rich enough to own a Rolex.

Good grab, Flash. :)

12. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Frank, my admiration for Senator Moynihan does not extend to his wardrobe. :)

Draft saved Draft deleted