1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Time to play help the color challenged again

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Moderator1, Mar 2, 2008.

1. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Olive pants. Sue me, I like them. THough I have no idea of the best colors to wear with them.
    Right now, I'm looking at a light yellow shirt. I like black and olive together. I've seen the shade of blue that's between royal and navy paired with olive and I think it looks fine. But what do I know?

This is why I usually stick to khaki and blue. I also got a new pair of black dress pants yesterday. Even I can't fuck those up.

2. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

You're throwing the fashion questions out for the NON-sportswriters, correct?

3. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

I love olive trousers. I have a pair in gabardine, in chinos and in cords.

I think they look best with a white shirt and a navy sweater or blazer. They also look good with a pale blue shirt.

For shoes, I like burgundy or what Allen-Edmonds calls merlot. But black or brown work just fine, too. In fact with the cords I'll sometimes wear dirty bucks (darker, like Bass').

Really, they go fine with anything. Some people wear with a pink shirt.

There's a great book by Alan Flusser called "Dressing the Man" that goes into what colors compliment your skin tone best.

Here's probably more than you want to know. It's more than I want to know:

http://www.askandyaboutclothes.com/Clothes%20Articles/Color%20Coordination.htm

4. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

Honestly, all colors should be defined by what's in an eight-pack sold by Crayola. At least it is in my world.

5. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

Stick with other earth tones.

Khakis, browns... you can also go with white.

Yes, I just said earth tones.

6. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

What can brown do for you?

I don't know -- tan or brown shirt with olive pants. Kind of a forest ranger look. I'd probably want to stay away from anything that says "uniform." A lot of people see olive and think army fatigues. I like olive but would pair it with something less drab. Even yellow is kind of a blend-in. But camel color on a sweater or camel-hair sportcoat works because soldiers and rangers don't wear them for work. Just not on a shirt, I think.

7. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

I used to have a pair of olive pants, and I always wore a black or white shirt with them. But my advice on fashion should probably best be ignored.

8. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

I usually end up wearing an olive shirt with olive pants.

9. FileNotFound

FileNotFound Well-Known Member

I have several pairs of olive pants, too. Light earth tones -- light brown, beige, etc. -- work really well, as does white, with the right tie.

10. Flash

Flash Guest

Olive is considered a neutral ... which means you can wear pretty much any colour you like with it. I might stay away from other neutrals, because then you're just boring.

11. Like I said, black. It's a bit militaristic but daring.

Draft saved Draft deleted