1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Time to Go Dicky V

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Boom_70, Mar 9, 2008.

1. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

I liked him as a speaker, when he hit KU for a Big Monday game. It was during the afternoon at the stident union, and I was on my way back to the car, done with classes for the day. I merely stopped in to hear him speak on the way home. He's great at that, very sincere, very likeable.

I just can't tolerate him on the mic on TV anymore.

2. NightOwl

NightOwl Guest

Dickie V is a clown act. Lee Corso still knows how to entertain.

3. [​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  4. pressmurphy

pressmurphy Member

Corso offers up bits of analysis. I'd be hard-pressed to come away from two hours of a Vitale game remembering anything from him that qualified as "analysis."

5. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

At the end of his career, it became painfully apparent that McGuire simply wasn't paying attention to what was happening in the greater basketball world. I think the only games he ever watched were those he broadcast. He used to unload some gems of ignorance that nobody who made a habit of actually watching or reading about basketball would ever utter; such as declaring that some ridiculous stiff was a "first rounder" or "All-American" simply because he happened to be having a hot night that night. McGuire would have no idea the guy normally played like a stiff because he only paid attention to games he was assigned to.

Still, McGuire was undoubtedly good for college hoops in his early years when he teamed with Enberg and Packer in the 3-way booth. And he always kept that extremely likeable personality, his voice never became unbearable to listen to like Vitale's is now.

Draft saved Draft deleted