1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Time to Go Dicky V

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Boom_70, Mar 9, 2008.

1. JackS

JackS Member

Vitale is one of those guys who you'll think of a lot more fondly after he's retired (or dead). He's pretty much insufferable doing games, and always has been. (I can, however, stomach him when he's in the studio during the tournament. He's still a little crazy, but at least he sticks to the subject at hand and makes appropriate commentary.) Some of the "Welcome back, Dick!" coverage lately has seemed to ignore how truly annoying he is.

It's funny you mention McGuire, because I couldn't stand him doing games during his heyday either, but now that he's gone, it's easier to overlook the schtick and remember him more fondly for being a good guy. If you get a chance to see the Dick Enberg/Cotter Smith theatrical presentation of his life, do it. It's pretty good.

2. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

Watching UNC-Duke on DVR last night, it came as no surprise to hear Dukie V say Hansbrough was "obviously" the best player in the country. No mention of Beasley, and why would there be, K-State doesn't quite register with him like Duke or North Carolina. A front-runner, as always.

3. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

I haven't met Dick Vitale, so I can't pass judgment on the man.

However, he has become a caricature of himself as an analyst.

4. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

I caught an old ACC championship game on ESPN Classic (yeah I was shocked that ESPNC was actually showing an old game too...). Don't remember who was playing but it was from the late 80s. Vitale was the color guy and he was very, very good. So good that I almost didn't realize it was him. He's changed drastically over the last 20 years.

As with most everything it touches ESPN, Disney actually, ruined him.

5. I also remember a time when Vitale's analysis consisted of more than, "OOOOOOOOOOHHHHHHHH"

6. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Has anyone heard Vitale speak to a group of people before? I'm talking about motivational speaking. They guy his damn fucking good.

I loved Al. It was like watching a game with your favorite uncle, and I mean that in a flattering way. Remember, I grew up listening to Myron Cope, so anything is I hear is toned down in comparason.

Packer is like watching the game with a prick from down the street whose wife happens to be friends with your wife.

IMHO, Bilas is my favorite today. He's a fucking lawyer, isn't he? I mean if ESPN fires him it would probably be a pay cut, so he can speak his mind. Well, he can speak it at least a little.

7. Hammer Pants

Hammer Pants Active Member

I definitely remember Vitale trying to explain the difference between Beasley being "the best player in the country," and Hansbrough being "the most outstanding player in the country." I was very confused.

8. Bilas is too damn smug.
    Digger is an idiot, and has been for nearly four decades.
    If it weren't for Brennan, there would be no reason for my remote at all.

9. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

Once you know Vitale's biases, you can predict his position on virtually any issue.

And that certainly includes the Beasley v. Hansbrough debate. Bias No. 1: Tobacco Road is the epicenter of the college hoops world, inherently superior to everywhere else. Bias No 2: Upperclassmen who could've gone pro earlier are amongst the most blessed human beings walking this earth, one and done freshmen are a bad thing.

Doesn't matter who's actually had the better year, Dick's gonna pick Hans.

10. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

I have heard Dickie V. speak. He is very damn good.
    One hell of a good guy, too.

11. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Couldn't be a more gracious guy away from the mic, too.

I know on one occasion, he took a look at the press room and I said "I don't know how the hell you guys do it." Went on to say a few nice, sincere things after that.

True, Vitale doesn't criticize much. But when he does, it's absolutely obvious that he feels very strongly about it.

----

Word has it that Al McGuire used to want about three names from the play-by-play guy. He wasn't much for doing his homework prior to the game, but calling him entertaining barely begins to cover it. I miss him.

Jay Bilas is one of the best things going. Yes, he's highly analytical and not a back-slapper. But you're not going to find too many talking heads that can interpret what the viewer is seeing in a digestible manner, especially without being smarmy or carrying off a haughty tone to him. (Yes, I'm talking to you, Mr. Packer)

Hubert Davis is improving by leaps and bounds. It was obvious Tom Brennan was going to be a natural. His analysis and ability to pop the one-liner have made him a must-see.

12. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

I had the pleasure of meeting him on two separate occasions.

Really nice guy.

Draft saved Draft deleted