1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Time to Go Dicky V

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Boom_70, Mar 9, 2008.

1. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Over the years I've gone back and forth on Dicky V. You can't deny his passion for college basketball, but he has now become intolerable.

Last night's game was a great one just ruined for those watching on tv by his shtick.

Oh how I long for the days of Al McGwire. "Call time out coach"

2. I lost my tolerance a couple years back, Boom, but your basic point is correct. He gets in the way now, horribly.

3. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Great guy, but he has become a distraction... I find myself muting the games he does and I don't do that for anyone else...

4. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

I do the same. Its a worthy cause but the fact that he uses forum to promote Jimmy V foundation drives me nuts. It's nice that some donated $100,000 but I don't care to hear about it.

5. Mizzougrad96

A few years ago, in a span of five games, he called four different players "the best player in college hoops baby!"

Not one of... The best...

It's too much to stomach...

6. Were any of them actually the best player in college hoops?

7. Mizzougrad96

No... I think one may have been an All-American...

8. ondeadline

ondeadline Well-Known Member

I recognize that he's a nice guy with a huge amount of passion for the game. But I agree: I'd love for him to move that passion away from the microphone. Maybe Dickie V, DJ Stewey and Screamin' A Smith could start a one-hour daily show that would keep them from doing any other work and I'd just make sure to skip that show.

9. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

Duke Vitale is a nice a guy, a classy guy if you have ever met him. I wish him good health and happiness.....

That being said -- he is and always has been an absolute embarrassment to broadcasting and I can't even listen to him, never have been able to because of his over-the-top let's hype every player and become a shill for every coach schtick.

It gets old. Every coach is a master of his craft and the greatest coach on the planet and none ever deserve to be fired and no kid should ever leave school early -- even if he is going to be the No. 1 pick in the draft -- because he should get an education....(forget for a moment he could pay for 35 educations when he signs his first contract and he likely shouldn't be in college in the first place.......)

I understand he is an advocate for his favorite game but he has become a carnival act and a comic book character with the way he does things.

10. I stopped watching him years ago. Can't imagine him being any worse than he was then.

11. cortez

cortez Member

It's unanimous, a slam dunk, baby!

12. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

As previously echoed on this thread, he'll get a pass from me because he's one of those broadcasters who knows where his bread was buttered and he'll treat you with class, whether you're a player, coach or fan.

The nonstop Duke-boosting gets old, though.

Draft saved Draft deleted