1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Time to get blasted again: Gore having every bit the season LT is

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Columbo, Dec 15, 2006.

1. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

Yes, because yards in all other quarters just aren't the same.

2. lantaur

lantaur Well-Known Member

I just saw a stat on NFL.com which said L.T. scores on 58% of his carries from within the 10-yard line. That's incredible - they stack up the goal line defense and he still finds a way to get in.

3. Columbo

Columbo Active Member

Gates occupies two guys ... just for starters.

4. Columbo

Columbo Active Member

310 carries at 5.5 a pop would be the most carries at at least that average since I can remember.

5. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

Columbo like the Marlins ... former Canes greats ... see a trend here? No use arguing with someone who's already made up his mind and decided there is no changing it.

6. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

Buckweaver pretty much shot down his contention, as you can see by the numbers from Ahman Green, Jamal Lewis, and Priest Holmes. Unless I'm supposed to believe that two-tenths of a yard is really that relevant. Or that an extra 1-2 carries each game is.

7. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

Barry Sanders did it twice, under the criteria specified. And this is the guy with the most runs for losses in NFL history.

I haven't looked but I would think Dickerson might have pulled the same trick a time or two (310-plus <==> 5.5 ypc).

8. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

Barry Sanders
    1997 -- 335-2,035-6.1
    1994 -- 331-1,883-5.7

Eric Dickerson
    1984 -- 379-2,105-5.6

Clinton Portis came close twice
    2002 -- 273-1,508-5.5
    2003 -- 290-1,591-5.5

And before Columbo comes in to say that Portis' close doesn't count, allow me to say this -- Gore still needs to finish his season. He might keep up that pace, he might drop, we don't know.

Running against Arizona next week is one thing; the Broncos to finish the season won't be easy.

9. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

Find the bigtime breakaway runners since 1978 and they're at least in that neighborhood.

It's an interesting stat.

10. Columbo

Columbo Active Member

You are absolutely right.

Title of my thread doesn't apply, even to me, anymore as of halftime of the Sunday night game.

11. indiansnetwork

indiansnetwork Active Member

You can add
    a 85 yard run tonight so far.

12. CornFlakes

CornFlakes Member

Columbo ... good job on keeping an open mind and realizing that LT is in a class of his own. ... Nothing wrong with Gore, not at all, he's tremendous. But Tomlinson is having a season for the ages that will forever be recalled as one of the all-time great seasons by an RB. ... That 85-yard run Sunday night with the great downfield pause before going back to the jets was a thing of beauty. ... LT is one of the all-time greats. Let's see if Gore can put a few terrific seasons back-to-back and up the TD totals before we include him in LT territory ... again, Gore is doing a great job, nothing wrong with not being in Tomlinson's class.

Draft saved Draft deleted