1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Time to get blasted again: Gore having every bit the season LT is

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Columbo, Dec 15, 2006.

1. Jones

Jones Active Member

Not to name drop, but I was doing a story on Clinton Portis before the season, and we were talking about backs and who the best ones were, and he said Frank Gore was No. 1, without a doubt. Wish players were like stocks. That's a tip I would've acted on.

2. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

One of those games was a 49ers victory. Another was a 14-point loss that was decided in the fourth quarter. The other three were blowouts.

I'm not doubting he's a great back. It's just not "every bit the season" as LT's.

3. Editude

Editude Active Member

Gore also fumbles a lot and operates in an environment of much lower expectations. And the 49ers continue to run when they are losing, in prevent situations, so the numbers are a little skewed. He's a good back.

4. Clever username

Clever username Active Member

Yes, because Drew Brees has had an awful season.

5. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Tomlinson is the best player in football. But Drew Brees has been the most important player to his team this year. Tomlinson will win the award, but technically an MVP conversation should begin and end with Brees. Few people thought New Orleans would win win more than 5 games. Brees is having as fine a year, statistically, as any QB. And damn if he's actually managed to make Marques Colston and Terrance Copper into household names.

6. DisembodiedOwlHead

DisembodiedOwlHead Active Member

Are you seriously making the "teams gameplan for him" argument in favor of Tomlinson over Gore? Exactly who else gets your attention on the Niners? SMITH? Not exactly as fearsome as the Rivers-Gates connection.

Re: fumbles. Tomlinson fumbled 8 and lost 5 his rookie year. Gore's first full season as a starter, 7 fumbles, 6 lost.

7. D-Backs Hack

D-Backs Hack Guest

I never said Brees hasn't had a great season, nor that he isn't valuable to the Saints.

Take Tomlinson away from the Chargers, and not only are they not 11-2 and on track for the AFC's top seed, they are battling just to make the playoffs. They don't win at Cincinnati, Denver and Buffalo.

As pointed out earlier, San Diego has one true receiving weapon (although a huge one). Actually, it has two receiving weapons: Gates and . . . Tomlinson.

And how easy of a transition to starting QB does Philip Rivers have if he is handing off to someone else? (And please don't claim that Michael Turner, as good as he is as a backup, would be doing what LT is this season).

Thanks to Tomlinson, not only are the Chargers on the path to the Super Bowl, it's got the fewest potential potholes. If that's not value to a team, I don't know what is.

What isn't hurting LT's case is the fact that he is playing like someone who will be in Brown-Payton-Sanders territory by the time he's done.

8. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

Wait, now we're comparing rookie seasons? I thought we were only talking about this season.

9. Chuck~Taylor

Chuck~Taylor Active Member

Play along Oz:

Frank Gore can throw a football run over that mountain

10. Columbo

Columbo Active Member

Dude... decoder ring... what the hell are you typing?

11. dog428

dog428 Active Member

Yeah, I'm still taking LT. He's too solid all the way around. Watch the guy for an entire game sometime. There's nothing he's bad at. You need five yards, he's good for it. You need to slide him out of the backfield and catch a pass, no problem. You need him to pick up a block in protection, he doesn't miss it.

Gore is good. But he's not as consistently good in all areas like LT.

12. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I'm a die-hard Niners fan, but Columbo is an idiot as usual...

Gore's having a nice season. LDT is having one of the best ever...

Think opposing teams game plan to stop Gore the way they do for LDT?

I don't think so...

Draft saved Draft deleted