1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Time to get blasted again: Gore having every bit the season LT is

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Columbo, Dec 15, 2006.

1. Columbo

Columbo Active Member

The key stat: 5.5 yards per carry, or 10 percent more yards per carry than Tomlinson, a humongous difference in the rarefied air of elite running backs....

But what about Tomlinson's TDs?

Mighty fine. But yards per carry with tons of carries are to touchdowns what great ERA with tons of innings is to Wins. The latter is much more team-related.

Other important facts: On that 49ers team, with a hodgepodge offensive line, with that quarterback and receiving corps, with defenses unloading eight players within five yards of the LOS. ...

And, despite the Gore-led improvement of the record this season, the team still finds itself behind during a lot of time in the games. Gore has 501 first-quarter rushing yards this season, before the gameplan crumbles.

1,909 yards in 14 games compared with Tomlinson's 1,906 in 13.

Yeah, Gore has had at least as good of a season.

2. D-Backs Hack

D-Backs Hack Guest

I'm a big Frank Gore fan. He has had an outstanding season, statistically very comparable to Tomlinson's (even receiving).

Is he the better running back? Not right now. Let's see him keep doing it.

And LT's touchdowns are not a product of Marcus Allen/Chiefs stat-padding. Yeah, he's had some 2-yarders, but they are often preceded by his gaining 62 of the 70 yards on the drive. And Chargers opposing defenses stack the scrimmage line, too.

If LT is not the MVP, there should be an investigation.

3. Columbo

Columbo Active Member

The difference between 5 yards a carry, and 5.5 is staggering.

4. beefncheddar

beefncheddar Guest

OK, then, pube. Which one is more valuable?

5. Freelance Hack

Freelance Hack Active Member

Rossi,

I'll agree that LT is the better back at least for the time being, but I've been really impressed with Gore the last few weeks. One great season does not make one great back, but Gore should be packing his bags to Honolulu this season without a doubt.

Also, LT is not the MVP this year. That honor belongs to Drew Brees.

6. fmrsped

fmrsped Active Member

Columbo,
    You make good points, for sure. This is probably a flawed argument, but I see your YPC point. ... It's the difference, theoretically, between a third-and-1 and third-and-2, which is big.

And he's helped make the Niners respectable, which I never thought possible. They swept the Seahawks, right? Mike Nolan's done a heckuva job, starting with making Gore the featured back.

7. Columbo

Columbo Active Member

LT's more valuable.

But, this season in a vacuum, it's extremely close.

8. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Fantasy people make LT more valuable, because of the TDs.

I agree that Gore is having a great season, but when you look at how teams gameplan for San Diego, you've got to respect what LT does. The Chargers have no receivers worth talking about, other than an all-world tight end, and a rookie quarterback (essentially). So everyone tries to take LT away. No one (except for the Steelers in that early Sunday night game) actually gets it done. To me, the game at Denver cemented LT's great season. Big game. On the road. Eight in the box. LT never does anything in Denver. Never. Yet he had four touchdowns, including a back-breaking one on a short catch that he turns into a 50-yard TD.

Gore is impressive, though. Man, he puts up yardage. He still fumbles too much, though. That puts him a step below LT.

9. Bruhman

Bruhman Active Member

as a freshman at miami, gore was one of the best halfbacks i'd ever seen. two major knee surgeries haven't helped his progress, but he's still doing something right with a 5.5 ypc average. that's ridiculous.

10. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

Every bit the season? Last I checked, Gore didn't have the NFL touchdown record, let alone two touchdown passes. Gore also vanishes at times, with five games of 65 yards or less (65, 55, 52, 41, 40); Tomlinson has one (36, in a win against the Steelers) and has run for more than 100 yards in seven straight games.

Great season, no doubt. But that's not "every bit the season."

11. Columbo

Columbo Active Member

When you are losing big, you don't run.

501 first-quarter yards this season. Incredible, incredible number.

He could finish with 600 for the season.

12. Tommy_Dreamer

Tommy_Dreamer Well-Known Member

Thanks for bringing his knee problems up. Let's remember this, if Gore doesn't get hurt a lot in Miami, Willis McGahee's growth would've been stunted behind him.

Draft saved Draft deleted