1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Time to gauge the public: Feedback wanted on my paper's "new" Web site

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by KYSportsWriter, May 2, 2008.

1. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

Here's our old site:
    [​IMG]

Pretty simple, clear cut, everything is easy to find.

Now, here's our "new" and supposedly "improved" site:
    [​IMG]

Which one is better? Which one do you think our readers will go ape-shit about tomorrow morning?

The "new" site has a scroll bar within the browser window in every fucking box.

This is somehow supposed to make us attractive to buyers when we get sold within the next few months or whenever. I definitely do not see this making us more attractive to anyone.

Also, most news paper sites have a printable view and an e-mail story link. We have neither.

This whole process, from us switching to an Internet-based CMS to this site, has been a royal pain in the ass.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  2. BYH

BYH Active Member

Yeah, that looks like crap.

Leave it to the idiots in charge to forget the "improved" in "new and improved."

3. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Looks a lot like my paper's site, which is roundly disparaged in the newsroom. Can't find ANYTHING on our site. We promo our BLOGS!...which have no links on the front page.

4. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

I don't go on our paper's Web site in the office either. :D

5. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

You can barely read "newsenterprise" in the new one because the blue font blends in with the background.

6. Barsuk

Barsuk Active Member

The readers will go ape-shit no matter what, though. You could replace the shittiest site ever with the best site ever, and the readers will be up in arms for at least a week. They don't like change.

That said, sometimes I think newspaper Web people think they need to reinvent the wheel to justify their existence, and the management happily leaps on-board because "the Web is the future!!!!"

7. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Yep. Plus at least the old one has articles on it.

8. Bob Slydell

Bob Slydell Active Member

I like the old one better, it's cleaner.

9. ZummoSports

ZummoSports Member

our new web site isn't much better. When they upgraded us over the winter, they buried sports the point where there are a few links down near the bottom...no photo like the old site

apparently it's a company-wide thing...it looks better than the old one, but not nearly as functional.

10. Central-KY-Kid

Central-KY-Kid Well-Known Member

I know you have Kentucky connections, Bob. Are you LCNI?

Most every LCNI paper - us (Elizabethtown), Bardstown, Oldham County are the three I'm closest to - has been told to switch to this format, which is backwards.

We're supposed to write the story on the internet - instead of Word - which is a really bad idea because if you lose a story, there's no where for it to go (as happened to our crime reporter who lost a 40-inch story despite routinely saving every 2-3 paragraphs) and THEN copy the story into Quark (and lose every single style sheet, which is a pain in the ass when doing boxscores/agate).

Thing is, once we get sold, supposedly we'll go back to our old server and town news (which I really don't mind).

Superb.

11. Mooninite

Mooninite Member

We just had a web redsign. Every story printed takes up about 10 pages of paper because it prints every element on the page with each story. When we brought that to our internet guy's attention he responded: "Do we want readers to print the stories?"
    What a fucknut.

12. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

why do you hate old people, buck?

Draft saved Draft deleted