1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Time to exit stage left, Hillary. Today, she invokes RFK's assassination

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by spinning27, May 23, 2008.

1. Answer honestly:

Is she really trying to plant the assassination seed in people's minds?

Or was she honestly and truly simply bringing up something that people know about that happened in June to vividly remind them that campaigns go that long?

2. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

She was getting diarrhea of the mouth, and babbling examples of major events late in primary season.

Nothing more, nothing less.

If it were still possible to assassinate presidents, we would have received a constitutional lesson in recent years about what hapens to the line of succession when both the POTUS and VPOTUS buy the farm. The most despised regime in a long time, and they're still kicking, though I'm sure there have been plenty of people who would have liked to end this before January 20, 2009.

(No, I am not advocating the death of any political figure. I merely point out that there is no shortage of people who would wish great ill on the current president).

3. That's what I took it as, too. Apparently she made the same parallel in March - in that tiny niche publication Time magazine - and nobody noticed because the "blogosophere" didn't flip out that time.

4. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

Then that makes her apology, in which she said she had the Kennedys on her mind, which is why she used the parallel, bullshit. So the Kennedys were on her mind when she said it in March?

5. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

The comparison to that primary and this one is ludicrous on its face -- Kennedy got shot after the California primary, which was in June. So, yeah, the race was still being contested in June.

And, so, what are we left with?

Hey, I'm hanging around in case someone shoots him.

6. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

I don't know what her point was supposed to be.

But NOBODY refers to Bobby Kennedy and the California primary as an example of "a campaign running long."

That's like mentioning Lincoln at Ford's Theater and then claiming you were just referring to "presidential love of the arts."

7. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

I heard a tape of that today. Inexcusable.

8. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Precisely. No one references that campaign except as an example of the unpredictability of politics or events.

Which again, leaves us with a pretty gutless and ugly comment.

9. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

Why worry about this, anyway?

If something bad did happen to Obama, he'd just rise from the grave three days later. [/cross-threading a-hole]

10. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

"Look, when I said the Kennedys have been on my mind a lot lately, what I meant was: How fricken unfair is it that three people in their family -- and really four, if you count Joe Jr. -- could have been president if they weren't such reckless Irish drunks, and people are acting like I'm a bad person for suggesting my family deserves another crack at this. Tap your breaks, Barack! That's all I'm saying! I'm sure they work great, but you never know!"

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  11. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Keep going. We want enough for a special keepsake booklet.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  12. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Your breaks work...

As far as I know.

Draft saved Draft deleted