1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Time to dump the Wild Card?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by statrat, Sep 20, 2007.

?

Is it time to get rid of baseball's Wild Card?

1. Yes

6 vote(s)
    14.3%
  2. No

36 vote(s)
    85.7%
  1. BYH

BYH Active Member

I fucking refuse to believe that. :D :D :D

2. indiansnetwork

indiansnetwork Active Member

Ok, I am wrong, no one has ever suggested that.

http://www.baseballthinkfactory.org/files/newsstand/discussion/number_crunching_major_league_baseball_favors_the_underdog_lets_play_256_ga/

3. BYH

BYH Active Member

Does Bill James work at the Los Alamos National Laboratory, shitforbrains?

Edit: Good work Bucky.

I think we should go to watertreatmentlosers.org and just suggest stupid shit.

4. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

idiot --

Did you read that link? A group of physicists said it would take 256 games to eliminate statistical variance.

No one is suggesting, or has suggested, that they actually play that many games.

Kindly remove your head from your ass.

5. indiansnetwork

Wow, I am surprised, everyone here is so nice.

6. shockey

shockey Active Member

the good outweighs the bad. no doubt.

but it does take a lot of the steam out of this yanks-bosox deal. should the yanks overtake the bosox to win the division, it would have become the stuff of baseball lore, a choke akin to the '51 dodgers and '78 bosox.

but with the bosox pretty much assured of being the wild-card team, who really cares? heck, they won their long-awaited world series as a wild-card team.

7. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

physicists at the Los Alamos National Laboratory = "Bill James and his ilk"

it's shit like this that keeps me coming back.

8. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

And it didn't even include multiple colors and a scrolling marquee -- pointing out the idiocy that is The Network.

9. crimsonace

crimsonace Well-Known Member

That's pretty much what happened in the Braves-Giants race in 1991 ... a bit exaggerated, but both teams won more than 100 games, and the Giants went home.

The WC talk started *very* soon after that, too. Geography (and not even that, given Atlanta was east of half of the NL East at the time) dictated that the two best teams (record-wise) in baseball were in the same division, and that one of them watched the playoffs on TV didn't seem right.

10. indiansnetwork

I think it is awesome that people spend their time ripping people just so they can feel important.

11. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

I agree that this Sox choke, if it continues, would be akin to 1978 if it meant the difference between the playoffs and elimination. It's for that reason why I think there should be some kind of stronger "penalty" for wild-card teams to make it harder for them to advance in the postseason.

(My suggestion: 1-1-3 format. First game at the 1/2 seed on a Monday, second game at the 4 seed on a Wednesday, travel day Thursday, then a Fri-Sat-Sun three-game series at the 1/2 seed. The non-WC series could be the same 2-2-1 format as it is now.)

But really, it's only the No. 1 division (almost always the AL East, which is a whole 'nother story) that has that "problem." The Cubs and Brewers are fighting for an elimination spot. The Mets and Phillies are fighting for an elimination spot. The D'backs and Padres' "race" won't seem to matter as much if they both get in, but it would if there were a stronger "penalty" for the wild card.

12. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Quit being such a moron and people won't rip you.

Draft saved Draft deleted