1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Time to dump the Wild Card?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by statrat, Sep 20, 2007.

?

Is it time to get rid of baseball's Wild Card?

1. Yes

6 vote(s)
    14.3%
  2. No

36 vote(s)
    85.7%
  1. statrat

statrat Member

Jumping off the greatest collapses thread, and the fact that a Red Sox collapse will not mean that much, being that both they and the Yankees would likely make the playoffs regardless, is it time to get rid of the wild card and back to true penant races? It would be win or go home for the Red Sox down the stretch. I think its time baseball either went back to two divisions or found a way to split each league into four smaller divisions and to do away with the wild card, but that's just my opinion. Thoughts?

2. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

ITS BEEN 13 YEARS! THE BIRD HAS FLOWN!

The wild card "argument", if it even is one, is as tired as the designated hitter debate (thankfully, it is rarely heard anymore) and whining about unbalanced schedules.

3. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

In a word: Fuck no, are you fucking kidding me?

OK, that was more than a word...

4. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

No. Also, DTGDTN!

5. If you dump the wild card, which is a horrible idea, then what? Are you giving one of the division winners a bye or do you go to four divisions?

6. Boomer7

Boomer7 Active Member

From an economic perspective, there's no way baseball can go back to the old system (1969-93. From a strictly baseball perspective, I kind of wish they would. Two rounds of playoffs are more than enough.

Go back to the two-division format -- seven teams in the AL divisions, eight in the NL. Win your division and you advance. Otherwise, go home.

7. statrat

statrat Member

Considering that Selig feels its necessary to tinker with the postseason structure every few years (All-Star winner gets WS home field advantage, best record in the league gets to pick its postseason series) I hardly believe the ships has sailed and think its worth debating something that, in my opinion, was a stupid idea to begin with.

8. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

Without the wild card, most divisions in baseball would be wrapped up and people would be paying attention to football. The wild card gives reason for hope in some cities.

Face it, without the wild card, Philly's likely watching the Eagles right now. Although the Mets ARE trying their hardest to say "you take it" to Philadelphia about that division lead...

9. Beaker

Beaker Active Member

Considering that in the last five years, one of the wild card winners has either won or reached the World Series, I would definitely say no.

10. statrat

statrat Member

But most of the divisions are not wrapped up. In four of the six divisions the first and second place teams are seperated by three games or less and in the AL West and AL Central the second place teams are all but out of both the division and Wild Card.

11. So let's say Team A goes 110-52 and Team B (in the same division) goes 109-53. The two other division winners go 81-81. You think Team B shouldn't make the playoffs?

12. statrat

statrat Member

Nope. They should have figured out a way to beat Team A one more time during the four series they played in the regular season.

Draft saved Draft deleted