1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Time To Disband The Congressional Black Caucus?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Flying Headbutt, Jan 25, 2007.

1. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Hey Jr I think he means CAUCUS. He can confirm though.

BTW thanks for your imput. If we have further need for Candian Caucus we will be in touch

2. Boom_70

Have you heard of something called the Civil Rights Act of 1964?
    It outlawed discrimination based on race, color, religion, sex, or national origin.

The position of the CBC seems to be in conflict with one of the most important laws in our land.

3. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

I think the discussion is larger than inclusion but goes more to the issue of what elected public servants should be doing on the public dime.
    My opinion is they should be serving the interests of their constituents.
    Now, let's take a group like the Congressional Black Caucus, not it's foundation or institute but the actual group of 43 congressional representatives.
    Their aims are 'positively influencing the course of events pertinent to African-Americans and others of similar experience and situation' and 'achieving greater equity for persons of African descent in the design and content of domestic and international programs and services.'
    Perhaps noble goals, but goals that could legitimately be pursued by a white person elected by a majority black constituency.
    On the flip side, what about a black person elected by a majority white constituency? Would that person be serving his or her constituency as a member of the CBC?

4. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

1) That's actually not true. The Civil Rights Act of 1964 outlawed discrimination in very specific circumstances, none of which would apply to a Congressional caucus.
    2) Even so, the Civil Rights Act of 1964 was enacted to do away with Jim Crow laws that specifically discriminated against blacks. The intent of the legislation was to outlaw discrimination against minorities. It stands to reason that majorities have the power to oppress others, minorities don't. And obviously history has borne that out. The Civil Rights Act wouldn't have been necessary if whites didn't use Jim Crow to oppress blacks. A majority group doesn't need the protection of special laws designed to protect civil rights.
    3) The Civil Rights Act of 1964 doesn't make the Congressional Black Caucus hypocritical in any way, shape or form. The Civil Rights Act of 1964 has largely made it possible for the members of the CBC to be in Congress. Needless to say, whites have never had trouble getting elected to Congress.

5. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Hey, Ragu, you're on a roll. You've had the best posts of the day.

(And NO SARCASM INTENDED)

6. Chuck~Taylor

Chuck~Taylor Active Member

True dat.
    He should type in "Hibachi" after every post.

7. andyouare?

andyouare? Guest

You're in trouble here, Boom. Time to bring in John D. Villarreal to back you up. And tell him to bring his ointment.

8. JR

JR Well-Known Member

I bet JDV could do a 1,000 word post on this subject and end up chasing his tail.

9. Lamar Mundane

Lamar Mundane Member

He should be allowed to join. How anyone would reject someone who theoritically shares many of the same concerns, problems and potential solutions is beyond me.

10. Boom_70

How am I in trouble? Its not about winning. Its about good debate and discussion.

I still don't think its right that the black caucus will not let mr Cohen in but so be it.

From AP:

The caucus would not have permitted Cohen to join, its new chairwoman told The Associated Press. Rep. Carolyn Cheeks Kilpatrick, D-Mich., said the caucus decided early on that official membership would be restricted to blacks.

Rep Cohen: ahh ahhh ms Kilpatrick

Rep Kilpatrick Yes Congressmen

Rep Cohen : I'd like to join the black caucus

Rep Kilpatrick: sorry your skin must be black . we cannot allow you entry

11. 21

21 Well-Known Member

This is all because the guy's name is Cohen.

12. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

Why does the CBC hate Jewish people?

Draft saved Draft deleted