1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Time To Disband The Congressional Black Caucus?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Flying Headbutt, Jan 25, 2007.

1. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Any group that voluntarily accepted Cynthia McKinney and Maxine Waters as members is about as low, ignorant and useless as they come.

If the the black members of Congress want to get together in a racially exclusive manner, at US taxpayer expense, let them. It just makes them too stupid to be taken seriously if they can't see their own hypocricy and bigotry.

2. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

Not always. Sad to say, but not always.
    And I'm like Colbert, I don't see color.

3. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

You obviously missed the Catholic Inquisition and Nazi Holocaust.

4. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

Trying to encapsulate the needs of all blacks or Hispanics is also a pretty broad job. Do blacks in Ladera Heights, Ca., have the same issues as blacks in Camden, N.J.?
    Do Hispanics in Farmersville, Ca., have the same issues as Hispanics in Coconut Grove, Fla.?
    Some of the issues are the same. Some of the issues are vastly different.
    I'm not advocating the formation of congressional caucuses based on religion. It's just interesting that congressional caucuses based on race or ethnicity are OK but congressional caucuses based on religion would be taboo.

5. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

The blacks in Ladrea Heights, Ca probably have windows in their houses. The only windows in Camden are in the Court House.

I am starting to think that maybe they should just disband Congress all together.

6. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Sadly, you're right.

But regardless of what some preach/practice, religion IS a choice. Always.

7. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

Of course there's a difference between race, ethnicity and religion.
    The question is whether it should acceptable to form exclusionary congressional groups.
    Further, is it right to join what are essentially congressional interest groups.
    If I am a white representative from a district that is half white and half Hispanic, my job is to represent my district, to pursue the interests of my district. My job is not to pursue the interests of white Americans in general.
    The same is true, theoretically, for black or Hispanic congressional representatives and for Christian, Jewish, Muslim and atheist congressional representatives.

8. 21

21 Well-Known Member

You're definitely not Jewish.

9. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

Being Jewish encompasses ethnicity and religion.

10. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Of course. :)

Doesn't change the facts.

11. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

I'm just fed up with the fact that congress always thinks its above the law. Race, smoking, whatever. They always pass laws intended for everyone else but them. And why the hell isn't Al Sharpton speaking out on behalf of the white lawmaker I mentioned?

12. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Colorado wingnut Tom Tancredo weighs in:

http://news.bostonherald.com/politics/view.bg?articleid=179339

Draft saved Draft deleted