1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Time To Disband Auto Workers Union

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Boom_70, Jun 15, 2006.

1. dog428

dog428 Active Member

The reason the Big 3 are failing miserably is because they bet the business on SUVs. While damn near every other manufacturer out there was focusing on making better small to mid-sized, fuel-efficient cars, these dumbshits were figuring out ways to build the biggest SUV.

Then we elected a group of former oil execs to lead the country, gas prices shot through the roof and now, nobody wants a vehicle which cost more than the average house payment per month to drive.

Some other factors are contributing, obviously, but this is the big one. And it has nothing to do with the workers. The reason this shit is coming up now is because the auto execs are desperately trying to figure out a way to save their asses while accepting absolutely no blame for the dumbass decisions that got them to this point.

2. JR

JR Well-Known Member

I know exactly what you were saying, Poindexter and I still say it's bullshit. It requires political will and competent people. You have at least truckloads of the latter.  

If you can put a man on the moon.........

3. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Amen.

I think we've had this discussion on another thread.

Given the rabid anti-union sentiment these days, it's easy to make the workers the bad guys and easier to get people like Boom to lap it up.

4. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

The problem isn't that went SUV; in fact, since half of America drives one, I would actually commend them for hitting the target market in this regard.

The problem is, as I believe heyabbott mentioned, the cars are poorly made. Should I buy a Chrysler that's going to start breaking down at the 80K mark or a Honda that will hit 150K? And is that due to poor engineering or perhaps shotty workmanship on the assembly line? Or both? I think the blame can be spread widely......

My issue with the unions is they negotiate with blinders on; solely working to get the max short term value without considering the long term economic impact of what they are doing. Now, it's time to pay the piper for some of the sweeheart deals they've been able to do in the past. If you're going to hold management accountable for not having a vision to the future, you ought to do the same for union leadership. And their one by one negotiating approach as called out above I would represent  to be just short of hostage tactics.

And before we anoint universal health care as the be-all, end-all, I've spoken with more than few of your countrymen, JR, who don't give it such high marks, pointing to some rather incredible wait/queue times to see a doctor /get treatment for little things like, oh, cancer.

5. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Anecodotal evidence about isolated incidents doesn't prove the system's a failure.

As a matter of fact it works astonishingly well and could work even better with a little more co-operation between the feds and the provinces.

Did I say it was the be-all, end-all ? Uh, no, but it beats the alternative--health care as a commodity.

6. Hey, and it might work even better if Canada would allow its people to obtain private health care instead of shipping all their problem cases to the U.S.

7. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

JR - this is a case in point as to why you are a pompous asshole. I made a statement agree or disagree by why make it a personal attack.

8. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

JR's definitely got some anger issues to deal with. That Toronto trip sounds like a blast, with Mr. Fun leading the way. I'd hate to fall out of line up there.

9. Boom_70

One thing I found ironic with Times editorial is that on same day on op ed page you have Tom Friedman promoting non union Toyota.

Maybe US Auto industry would not have as great a problem if the foriegn companies had to compete on equal footing.

10. Ashy Larry

Ashy Larry Active Member

Thank you Kirk.....I've also spoke at length with many people who have universal healthcare, and when they need to travel to a different Province for treatment, they're not so happy with their situation.  I also am amused that when my family in Canada and France ask about my costs for healthcare........to say the least they're shocked at my $10 co-payments.  They've been led to believe the average American pays $500 dollars to walk into a hospital, which is true if you don't have insurance...but I probably contribute $50/mth to health insurance, then the co-payments.........so its almost the same as their universal healthcare.  BUT, if I get cancer I can find treatment within 200 miles.

11. leo1

leo1 Active Member

exactly. i'll stop short of advocating state sponsored socialized medicine, but this is just one more example of the media attacking the symptoms of a problem, not the cause of the problem. the bloated healthcare costs are a huge part of the problem. so why aren't the automakers aggressively lobbying congress to fix the system.

fix the healthcare system in this country and we'll have a lot fewer problems. it's complicated to fix it, but the concept is not that difficult. here's hoping massachusets' plan becomes a model everyone will eventually emulate (if it works).

12. Boom_70

See Cannuck torture thread.

Draft saved Draft deleted