1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Time to Come Clean Luppy

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Boom_70, Jan 12, 2010.

1. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Today Lupica column blasting McGwire :

So says the man who wrote "The Summer of 98". Just once I would like to see Lupica admit that he was duped.
  2. spnited

spnited Active Member

You know, boom, that will never happen.
  3. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

. . . not to mention the degree to which Costas wholly debased himself, in this

4. WolvEagle

WolvEagle Active Member

Just like Mitch Albom will never come clean with what he knew when he wrote "Fab Five."
  5. Boom_70

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  6. How so?
  7. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

All of these guys are frauds if you ask me, every one of them. Don't tell me that they or anyone else didn't have at least some idea that what went on in 1998 wasn't 100 percent kosher - but they all loved baseball and the long ball saved baseball so they all turned a blind eye.
  8. Zag, I honestly don't think so. I think they are blinded by their love for the game, and also shielded by naivete and ignorance regarding steroid use. That's something, to them, that East Germans and Russians did. Not the guys they talked to every afternoon. I don't think that sports writers purposely didn't pursue the story. I think they were oblivious.
  9. Boom_70

Do you think Tom Verducci really thought that Clemens advanced training techniques was what made him so successful in his later years?
  10. goalmouth

goalmouth Active Member

Working in television one quickly finds oneself in debasement.
  11. I think that's different because that came later, when everyone did know, especially Verducci. Hell, he was the first one to blow the cover off the story in SI with Caminiti.
  12. Boom_70

Always find it ironic that he gets credit for blowing the cover off while at same time providing Clemens cover.
Draft saved Draft deleted