1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Time To Ban The Header

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Boom_70, Mar 21, 2013.

1. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2013/03/20/new-worries-about-heading-the-soccer-ball/?ref=health

2. RonClements

RonClements Well-Known Member

Oh my God. See what you've started Goodell?
    You know, this is a path these athletes choose and why they get paid a lot of money as professionals. They know when they start playing that concussions are a risk they might have to face - just as cops know they risk getting shot on the job or firefighters facing the risk of burning to death. Yet they still took those jobs.
    It's time for sports leagues to recognize that their athletes are highly rewarded, monetarily, for the risks they face and stop trying to legislate injuries out of their games because that is an impossible endeavor.

3. Boom_70

But what about the children? Does a league have an obligation to set a good example?
    Is it a good long term business decision since those kids are their labor pool down the road?

4. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Do 12-year-olds know the risks?

5. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

Deflate the balls a tad. Most competitive youth games I've seen, the ball is a frigging rock.

6. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Banning them until high school, same with tackle football, would solve the problem. In this case it would make better soccer players too. A lot of coaches, once they see the magic of the header they kind of forget footwork.

7. partain

partain Member

I was surprised to see the coaches had our 12-year-old exhange student and his teammates practicing headers just last night. It's a recreational city league, not some traveling club team where everyone thinks they'll get a D-I scholarship offer in the coming years. Of course, I've only coached my son's 5- and 6-year-old team, so I don't really know at what age they normally introduce heading.

8. Boom_70

Seems irresponsible for any coach to introduce headers in this day and age.

9. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

Soccer players should be banned from leading with the feet, too.

Shins could get bruised. Everywhere!

10. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

If you told most 6-year-olds playing sports would bruise their brains and give them headaches and make them forget things like Grandpa, they would lose interest.

11. mpcincal

mpcincal Well-Known Member

I guess this is an instance where you really can blame soccer.

12. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Wussification of Amurrica! How dare you mess with our games! In my day, we didn't allow ourselves to get concussions!

And every other ridiculous comment made in response to attempts to protect athletes from brain injuries.

Now that we've got that out of the way, can we have a serious discussion?

Draft saved Draft deleted