1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Time Managing Editor Moves to State Department

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Boom_70, Feb 28, 2014.

1. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

http://www.politico.com/blogs/media/2014/02/rick-stengel-confirmed-to-state-dept-post-183148.html

Interesting move

2. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

As a taxpayer, I'd just as soon not have that cluck employed on my dime.

3. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

McCain was one of only eight to vote against confirmation. What's the back story there?

4. KJIM

KJIM Well-Known Member

IIRC, this position has never been filled by a career candidate - meaning someone who's risen through the ranks with State. There are not a lot of PD openings in State, and there are far more PD-coned officers than there are positions. But someone's brought in from the outside for this gig.

When I came in, there were 14 PD officers out of 60 total, and only four PD jobs out of 80 up for bidding.

I thought about trying to transition over from where I am, but it would take three years to even try, and then I'd be lucky to get one PD gig in the first four years and then after that, slim pickings.

I don't know how long the DAS positions are held. I guess it's longer than the usual two- or three-year appointments, though. But it's still more guaranteed than in the private sector, for sure.

Anyway, that probably meant nothing to anyone else, but I am curious to see how this pans out.

Hope he likes the serial comma.

Draft saved Draft deleted