1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Time Man of the Year

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Killick, Dec 14, 2006.

1. Claws for Concern

Claws for Concern Active Member

Tony Snow's answer ... I don't know.

2. Matt Foley

Matt Foley Member

Dog the Bounty Hunter

3. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

Every week Time asks people to name their Person of the Year. Usually the nominations are pretty interesting, as when this week John kerry noted that the veterans who ran for Congress are the persons of the year, because before vets were used for photo ops, and now they will be the policy makers. And other times the question is used to further an agenda or be a loudmouth. Case in point:

I nominate Michael J. Fox, who made ads for Democratic candidates this year, using his own suffering to equate the conservatives' war on science with terrible human consequences. The ads occasioned a counterattack that exposed right-wing meanness and helped Democrats take the Senate.

This was Steven Spielberg. Just thought it was funny how he used Time's question to espouse his poltical views, instead of just answering the damn question. And I suspect that even without the controversy over Mr. Fox, the election's results would have been largely the same.

For me, I agree with naming the American voter.

4. Canyonero!

Canyonero! Member

I like it.

5. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

I wouldn't mind seeing them give it to Bill Clinton and George H.W. Bush.

They've done tons of good around the world this year, and in an era of sharp political divide, they are an example of what can happen when everybody comes together for the greater good.

6. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Not a bad choice, either

7. Chuck~Taylor

Chuck~Taylor Active Member

8. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

The Buckeyes. They'd beat the Colts by four touchdowns.[/junkie]

9. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

From Times site:

"TIME's choices for Person of the Year are often controversial. Editors are asked to choose the person or thing that had the greatest impact on the news, for good or ill—guidelines that leave them no choice but to select a newsworthy—not necessarily praiseworthy—cover subject."

10. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

11. Second Thoughts

Second Thoughts Active Member

Steve Irwin, The Crocodile Hunter

12. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Mid-majors.

Draft saved Draft deleted