1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Time Magazine's Top 10 Rock and Roll Hall of Sham Snubs

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Flying Headbutt, Apr 4, 2009.

1. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

I guess that's true. Every kid who wasn't inspired by Jimmy Page, Eddie Van Halen, Pete Townshend, Tony Iommi, etc. likely heard Ace Frehley's stuff and said "Hell yes!"

2. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

The entire hair-metal genre (not really my fave rave) of the 1980s-early 90s exists because of three bands:

1. Led Zeppelin, and

2. Alice Cooper, who begat, 3. KISS.

As stated, I'm not really big on hair-metal, but Alice Cooper and KISS were so influential on the whole genre (and much of the rest of harder guitar-rock) they deserve to be in.

3. AreaMan

AreaMan Member

Haven't Lenny Kravitz and Slash been on record as saying that they were influenced by KISS? Kravitz contributed "Deuce" (with Stevie Wonder on harmonica) to a KISS tribute album. Slash played on the band that honored KISS on Rock Honors.
    I agree that KISS is a damn caricature of itself nowadays, but there's no denying that they had a huge influence on fledgling rockers in the mid-to-late 1970s.

4. Piotr Rasputin

Meh, I give up.

Hilarious that on a board where people deny the influence of Rush, KISS gets sold as this massively important band. I mean, was spawning the glam "metal" movement a good thing? And I wonder, was KISS really THAT influential on the thrash metal bands of the 1980s?

Well, James Hetfield of Metallica (I know, Napster rules, let's download music for free, blah blah blah) weighed in last night during his induction speech:

"Deep Purple, Thin Lizzy, Rush, Kiss, Ted Nugent, Iron Maiden, Motorhead. We'd like to invite them through the door."

Seven bands that could make a compelling case, on different combinations of longevity, endurance, quality and influence on future generations. Seven bands that don't happen to fit the narrow vision of what Jann Wenner and cronies feel is "rock music."

5. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

I'm fairly viewed as the resident Rush-hater, but let's put that aside for a moment.

I honestly cannot name one major band I feel was influenced by Rush, where they took Rush's "thing" and tried to make it their own. In that way, Rush is unique, which is to their credit, but its not as if there's a bunch of Rush copycat bands, not that attained popularity anyway.

However, you can easily draw a line from KISS to several popular bands where you can easily see their influence, for better or worse.

6. Piotr Rasputin

Bubbler, I would guess you understand that extreme popularity does not always mean great quality.

KISS: Said to have helped inspire the Glam metal movement.

Rush: Dudes from bands like Metallica, Foo Fighters (and by extension, Nirvana), Anthrax, Primus, Smashing Pumpkins, etc. have all mentioned a Rush influence on their work.

There's room for both to be properly honored.

7. pallister

pallister Guest

Almost always the opposite is true.

And KISS sucks.

8. Beaker

Beaker Active Member

On that list, I say Doobies, Chicago, Genesis. I'm really indifferent to Rush. I don't particularly like them, but it wouldn't bother me if they got in.

9. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Triumph?

10. Yes has to go in.
    Cheap Trick has to go in.
    Genesis has to go in.

Rush, I don't see it.

11. Do you think you're smart?
    Do you think anyone agrees with your taste in music?
    Why do you keep pushing your opinions on us? Do you think anyone is interested?

12. Priest
    Maiden
    KISS
    Zevon

I'd say Genesis, but I just hate Phil Collins, more than say, pompous rock n roll

Draft saved Draft deleted