1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Time Magazine's Top 10 Rock and Roll Hall of Sham Snubs

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Flying Headbutt, Apr 4, 2009.

1. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

The top 10 bands who belong in the Rock and Roll HOF but aren't, according to Time Magazine.

10. Cheap Trick
    9. Moody Blues
    8. Rush (Lord no these guys are fucking awful)
    7. Doobie Brothers
    6. Boston (no fucking way)
    5. Chicago
    4. Genesis
    3. Pat Benatar
    2. Def Leppard (debatable)

and... (as if there's any doubt)

1. KISS (to which I say, fuck an A right)

http://www.time.com/time/specials/packages/0,28757,1889244,00.html

2. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Yes: Cheap Trick, Genesis, KISS
    Maybe: Chicago.

A big hell no to the rest on that list.

3. BYH

BYH Active Member

That you thought it should be renamed the Pink Floyd Hall of Fame?

I love Nebatar as much as anyone, and major props to a Long Islander who still kicks ass live, but...no. No way. She doesn't pass the smell test (smell). I never thought she was a HOFer or a trend-setter or even someone who had all that great a peak. She had a few years at the top and then she did "We Belong" and that was the end of that.

4. Bubbler

I should have had Def Leppard on my maybe list.

Benatar would be my first out. And I like We Belong.

And surprise, surprise ... Rush is not my least favorite band on that list.

5. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

The "Davey Bancroft" baseball HOF argument can apply here: There are plenty of people much worse than Pat Benatar in the HOF. Whether that means she should be in or not, I don't know.

KISS, yes.
    Genesis, yes.
    Boston and Chicago, maybe.

6. BYH

BYH Active Member

Oh Bubbler. Bubbler, Bubbler, Bubbler. You probably liked the "Ooh Ooh Song" too, or whatever the fuck that horrible follow-up was called. :D

"All Fired Up" was her David Cone in 1999 moment, though. That song is fucking GREAT.

As for the list:

10. Cheap Trick: YES. To paraphrase Pat, they belong. Absolutely.
    9. Moody Blues: Never a huge fan, but surprised they're not in. Yes.
    8. Rush: Yes. Without a doubt.
    7. Doobie Brothers: Only if Michael McDonald is locked out.
    6. Boston: Love the first album, but I'm with Headbutt...no fucking way.
    5. Chicago: Another surprise omission. Yes.
    4. Genesis: Probably. Not a huge fan, but I guarantee they never get in b/c of Phil's sappiness.
    3. Pat Benatar: No.
    2. Def Leppard: No. Some great songs, but nowhere near HOF worthy. [/dead to sportschick]
    1. KISS: God, fuck, no. So they put on a good show. Whoop de damn do. They also fucking sang "Forever," written by Michael Bolton. Kiss is a shoo-in for the Hall of Suck, whenever that opens (and to beat Junkie to the punch, yes, Queensryche and Night Ranger will be there too, you bastard)

7. Bubbler

Benatar HOFer? Meh. But Shadows Of The Night should be in the Video Hall of Fame.

Seguing ...

What videos would comprise the Video Hall of Fame?

Edit: I'll just start my own damn thread.

8. Bubbler

Stop using Sex As (an eight-second) Weapon, BYH! We Belong is a good pop song! All Fired Up was pretty good too.

KISS is influential, KISS actually had some really good pop-rock songs, KISS' career was long-lasting.

I defy anyone to not enjoy the hell out of KISS Double Platinum, one or two songs excepted, and they even got cocky and left Christine Sixteen off of it. Honest to God, that's one of the greatest Greatest Hits albums ever made.

I'm not in the KISS Army, but I won't join the resistance either. Put 'em in.

9. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

I just put BYH on blast.

Def Lep influenced a whole hell of a lot of the Hair Metal bands. Course the HOF likes to pretend that era doesn't exist.

10. Bubbler

I don't think they influenced them, I think they were one of them, albeit one of the first. The 70s glam and power pop bands influenced all of them.

11. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

Warrant and Poison, among others, mentioned them as influences, so I'm going with them as an influences, plus it makes me feel better for liking them! As in, "Fuck you, poison fan, I like the influential butt rock band. . . hahahaha"

12. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

10. Cheap Trick...close call, but no
    9. Moody Blues...woodwork
    8. Rush...If Harold Baines ever makes the baseball hall
    7. Doobie Brothers...Michael McDonald keeps them out.
    6. Boston...no way
    5. Chicago...for better or worse, perhaps the best at mellow rock. They belong
    4. Genesis...Excellent art rock, and still made decent music after downsizing by 60 percent. They belong.
    3. Pat Benatar...First album rocked, then gradual decline. No.
    2. Def Leppard...Rose to the top of hair metal. Same as Manny Mota rising to the top of pinch hitting. No (the last post of mine SC will ever see)

and... (as if there's any doubt)

1. KISS (to which I say, fuck an A right)

Draft saved Draft deleted