1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Time Magazine's Presidential Odds...

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Mizzougrad96, Feb 4, 2007.

1. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

Webb followed up a great SOTU rebuttal with a solid performance on Fox News Sunday. There's nothing wimpy about him. If he ran for the Dems, forget it, chances are he'd do very well.

2. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

First things first: Who supports Hillary? I know plenty of people from all wings of the Democratic party including several who are old-school women libbers and I know of no one who is supporting Hillary. I think her alleged front-runner status is a media creation.

Secondly, on the GOP side: Mitt is growing in popularity and I hope he gets the nomination because running a Mormon in the south will make Gore's choosing a Jew seem like political brilliance. Many evangelical Christians would choose a NAMBLA member for President before they'd choose a Mormon.

Now on to Gore:

I think he's in. Hillary and Barrack are running hard now because they need to raise $$$ for their campaigns. All Gore needs to do is cash a check -- his personal stake in Google stock is valued at between $50 and $125 million.

I think Mark Warner, who was planning on hiring up a lot of ex-Gore Campaign operatives, knows this and that's why he backed out of running.

And a little bird within the family who is politically active with Barrack says she thinks Gore will get in, and Barrack thinks that too and that's another reason why he's campaigning hard now, so that he can survive when Gore gets in and knocks Hillary out.

Gore will run and win and help save this country from the disastrous mess it's in.

3. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

We elected Gore once, we'll elect him again.

4. yeah, it's kind of like the July odds for teams getting to the Super Bowl...useless bullshit. But it will be fun to go back and see what actually happened. I like Giuliani and Clinton to win their respective nominations and another 50-50 split of the election results. This one could be nastier than 2000 as far as seating an officer by the inaugural date.

5. HandsomeHarley

HandsomeHarley Well-Known Member

I just don't see the people of this country "ready" to elect a woman or minority to the presidency.

I still see Hillary as a longshot, and Obama has about as much chance as I do.

Not saying I agree with it, just that there are still a lot of voters in this country who grew up in a racist/sexist society.

I will say this: If any woman gets it in our lifetimes, Hillary has the best shot. And the fact that there are no strong republicans this year certainly makes her a possible surprise.

McCain isn't a republican - he just says he is. He's a wolf in sheep's clothing. I wouldn't vote for him for Boy scout troop leader.

6. lantaur

lantaur Well-Known Member

Isn't it wonderful that winning the presidency (or a nomination) seems to come down to how much money you can raise?

7. Jack_Kerouac

Jack_Kerouac Member

Having cash doesn't hurt, but I think moveon and other grass-roots efforts like that will make it easier in the little guys in the future if they have a good populist message.

8. joe

joe Active Member

With the Democrats all over the map in term of demographics, I wonder who will be tapped to be VP by whoever wins the nomination. And I'd love to see the nomination up for grabs at the convention, but that's probably just a pipe dream.

9. Killick

Killick Well-Known Member

Yeah, I have to agree that the Hillary lead is a mirage. Don't know where they're polling, but once you get away from the coasts, there just isn't a whole lot of people toting Hillary signs. Now, that's alot of electoral college votes, but... I just don't see it happening.
    I'm torn on her. Not a huge fan, even moreso now that she seems intent on running as "Hillary" - distancing herself from the Clinton name. Trying to appeal to both sides of the aisle, when there's a primary to be won, first. Spending a little too much time worrying about wrapping, not about the package.

10. Freelance Hack

Freelance Hack Active Member

If you want a decent political discussion, then let's talk the Kentucky gubernatorial election this year. It's one of only three gov races up this year and by far the most interesting one of the trio. It also should serve as an important bellweather for the Democrats chances in the south in 2008.

For the GOP, which won in 2003 for the first time in 32 years, incumbent Gov. Ernie Fletcher is battling off charges of incompetence and corruption and two primary foes. His two primary opponents, former US Rep. Anne Northup and Paducah businessman Billy Harper, held top positions in Fletcher's campaign four years ago. If the primary was held tomorrow, I'd say Northup has the inside edge on knocking off Fletcher, but she may not be able to generate the 40 percent she needs to avoid a run-off primary. The primary could be an especially bloody one.

On the Democratic side, there are seven people -- five of which are legit candidates -- running for the nomination. It should be just as interesting, though not as bloody. The top five are: Louisville businessman Bruce Lunsford, state Treasurer Jonathan Miller, long-time pol Steve Beshear, state House Speaker Jody Richards and former Lt. Gov. Steve Henry. Lunsford will probably spend more of his money than the other four combined will raise, but he has a lot of skeletons in his closet (most notably, spending $8 million in the 2003 primary only to drop out a week before and ultimately endorsing Fletcher and being the CEO of a Fortune 500 company that went belly up, costing many people their savings). Miller's 39 and youthful, but even with eight years as treasurer, some question his experience. Beshear has lost more than he's won in the last 20 years. Richards has never really had the gravitas. And while Henry is married to a former Miss America, he also has issues surrounding his physician practice and improper Medicaid billing.

Whoever the Dems pick will likely be the favorite, but if Northup wins the GOP primary then she has a legit chance of keeping the mansion for Republicans.

11. Columbo

Columbo Active Member

As you know, that's where my dollars are.

12. Lugnuts

Lugnuts Well-Known Member

YES !! I like your confidence.

F_H: Interesting. I'll have to start following that one.

Draft saved Draft deleted