1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Time Magazine lists Bleacher Report as one of top 50 sites in 2011

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by blog415, Aug 21, 2011.

1. Small Town Guy

Small Town Guy Well-Known Member

The history of the Person of the Year is pretty fascinating. It now has become pretty much impossible for them to name someone "evil" even though evil people did win it many years. And that's how you get Rudy G. being person of the year in 2001 over Osama, even though the latter probably had a bit more influence over events that year.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Time_Person_of_the_Year

But yeah, Hitler, Stalin won it twice.

I'm still thinking of writing a letter to the editor about the 1955 selection - Harlow Curtice over Jonas Salk! Salk only introduced the polio vaccine to the world. Curtice? He "assumed the responsibility of leadership for American business. In his words, 'General Motors must always lead.'"

It's worse than Jerry Lucas winning Sportsman of the Year over Maris in 1961.

Back to Bleacher Report.

2. clintrichardson

clintrichardson Active Member

Yeah, with all due respect to the fine and honest people who work at bleacher report, I think this says more about the list than it does bleacher report.

3. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

In terms of degrading the niche? Yep, major moves, baybee.

4. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

5. Cousin Jeffrey

Cousin Jeffrey Active Member

From what I hear they're paying these guys pretty well (as far as online goes), though I think there are different arrangements (full-time, exclusivity w/insurance vs paid per column).

6. Rhody31

Rhody31 Well-Known Member

Bleacher Report just received 22 mil from a venture capitalist firm:
    http://deadspin.com/5834034/sportswritings-gonna-be-ok-everybody-bleacher-report-just-secured-22-million-in-venture-capital

My buddy works for a company that is a big investor in the firm. I e-mailed him the Deadspin link and he said he's gonna look over the financials tomorrow and find out what their game plan is.

7. BillyT

BillyT Active Member

Yes, and he was.

No one made more of an impact on the year's news than he did, and that's their definition.

8. BillyT

BillyT Active Member

Sure, it just hasn't been around long enough and isn't well-respected at all.

9. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

HBO Go made list. Pisses me off to no end that Cablevision will not allow.

10. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I do think Bleacher Report has a niche. It's like a public access sports talk show on the web - for better and for worse.

11. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

O. M. G.

Draft saved Draft deleted