1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Time magazine for a penny

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Del_B_Vista, Apr 11, 2007.

1. Del_B_Vista

Del_B_Vista Active Member

Got a postcard today in the mail:

That's right. Because I was lazy and wrote a check for $74.00 instead of having to write out $73.99 (or some such amount), I got an extra issue for a penny.

Suck it, bitches.

2. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

I got a refund check for $.50 once. Can't remember what it was for, but it was about the stupidest thing I've ever seen.

3. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Del, knowing what I know about magazine circulation, that one is a no-brainer for them. They can put you on an audit statement as a paid subscriber. And the news weeklies struggle to keep their circulation figures up which they need to get their ad page rate. The news weeklies notoriously spend as much for subscribers as any magazines, with direct mail and newsstand and such. I am pretty sure they spend more than the subscription revenue they get to get new subscribers and retain one whose subscriptions have expired.... But the high circ figures are what allow them to charge ad rates that make them their money. I bet they'd even consider paying you to keep you on as a paid subscriber that they can show to advertisers and boost their ad rates. They can't do that legally, though.

The reason they don't give everyone subscriptions for a penny, though, is that would make the quality of their subscribers look bad to advertisers. But in your case, they can average out what you paid and you still look like a legit subscriber and they get you on the audit statement for one more issue.

4. John

John Well-Known Member

I'm doing better than a penny. After not subscribing to Runner's World for about a decade, and moving about eight times during that span, out of the blue I started getting an issue in the mail each month. No idea why.

5. girl friday

girl friday Member

my sister got a $1 state tax refund once. she didn't even bother cashing the thing.

6. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

I hope that's like a never-ending subscription. I get Time for two years for 35 bucks, total.

Draft saved Draft deleted