1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Time Inc. judging writers based on advertsiers

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Evil ... Thy name is Orville Redenbacher!!, Aug 18, 2014.

1. See NASCAR TV and radio coverage.

2. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

"This is for all the Tostitos, Herbie."

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  3. da man

da man Well-Known Member

I haven't read the Huffington Post link, but does it say how they measure whether content is "beneficial to advertiser relationship"? Because it might not mean what you think it means.

Content beneficial to an advertiser relationship doesn't have to mean mentioning their products. It might simply mean providing content that they want to have their ads associated with -- popular stories about popular topics that will attract readers, or subjects that advertisers feel mesh with their corporate image and/or values, or stories about events they sponsor. I know in the newspaper biz we constantly had advertisers requesting ads in certain sections or near certain stories.

This likely has no bearing on ethics whatsoever.

4. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

And here I thought SI's book excerpts which seemed to precede full-page ads a week or so later were just a coincidence. I thought the writer including the type of tequila, the label on the suit and the make of car in a story were just some of those "writerly" details that bring a story to life.

Draft saved Draft deleted