1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Time for Page 3 girls

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by hpdrifter, Apr 4, 2009.

1. hpdrifter

hpdrifter Member

Amen. Time to quit playing that "this is a family newspaper" BS argument. Our industry hasn't been treated like family for quite some time. What nubile young model wannabe is going to turn down a shot at stardom for going semi-nude (OK...naughtiest bits online only) and who wouldn't buy it that knew her. Same goes for strip club ads and personals that cross whatever line pent-up so-called religious types don't want and some papers don't run. It's harder to keep that moral high ground when your industry is sinking.

As for Page 4 or 5 boys, I'm all for that, too, cause the ladies should get equal treatment.

2. Big Buckin' agate_monkey

Big Buckin' agate_monkey Active Member

gotta get me a college women's beat if this happens.

3. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

There's a huge difference between a glossy mag and newsprint.

There's a huge difference between Playboy shooting the best-looking woman a town has to offer -- once -- and a newspaper publishing local skank of the day.

And you can say goodbye to NIE and to half the advertsiers.

4. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

I seem to recall there was the occasional Page 7 fella in The Sun back home.

5. Double J

Double J Active Member

Advertisers are fleeing like lemmings anyway.

But if you can arrest the circulation decline or even turn it around, you'll have the advertisers climbing back on board. And who cares about the ones with moral issues when your survival is at stake?

6. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

It doesn't work that way in the United States. Advertisers are not interested only in whole numbers but in who those people are, which is why tabloids, even in their heyday, were able to ring up huge circs but never had very high shares in advertising. Even in Canada, where tabs generally do better business-wise than they do in the U.S., the quality advertisers weren't interested in having their ads appear in a trashy publication. Largely, the various Sun tabloids did very well with auto dealers and strip clubs but not much else. In the United States, The Trentonian for a time did very well in circulation but never overcame the sleaze factor and always had a much smaller slice of the advertising market in sheer numbers and almost none of the classier retailers. It's just a bad idea and morality is not a factor when I say that. It just does not work as a business model.

7. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

Agree about the quality of a glossy mag over newsprint. No comparison.

Hell, if it was a color Page 3, with the way our guys line up the plates, those girls would have four nipples!

8. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Page 3 makes its debut at Coco's shop:

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  9. brettwatson

brettwatson Active Member

Titillating..Don't know where to look first.

10. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

PhotoShop is awesome.

11. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

[​IMG][​IMG]

12. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

NIE staff was sent packing at my hometown paper. The NIE folks here are on the way out. Someone did a study that said NIE doesn't bring in revenue (short-sighted view, of course) so it should be cut. So, NIE may say goodbye without Page 3 girls playing a role.

Draft saved Draft deleted