1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Time for a thread about my car

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Smallpotatoes, Feb 17, 2015.

1. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

Feeling for you SP. Don't know enough to be helpful, but I hope you get through this OK. You don't deserve this.

2. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

Just the weather. The car is at home and you're just waiting for a tow to a service station/dealership now, right? As long as the request to AAA has been made and you're on queue they will get there. No sense paying for another tow at this point.

3. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

Whose phone is busy for hours on end these days?

4. cranberry

Doesn't surprise me that AAA's can be difficult to contact in this weather. They need actual people at the end of the line.

5. Smallpotatoes

Would it be illegal to call the phone company and have them cut in on the busy signal?

6. murphyc

murphyc Well-Known Member

Even the most reliable car will need some general maintenance from time to time, like spark plugs and plug wires. If you don't know when those were last changed, they probably haven't been changed.

7. BurnsWhenIPee

BurnsWhenIPee Well-Known Member

And keeping up with those 30,000, 60,000, 90,000, etc.-mile maintenance plans can be crucial. I used to think those were sucker moneygrabs, but my wife insists on getting all those done when recommended. They cost about the price of 2-3 car payments, and we've got a Toyota with about 130,000 miles and a Honda with 220,000 miles, and they run like new.

8. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

Keep the tank as full as possible, especially during cold weather, so the water that's in the gas tank doesn't freeze in the fuel line. I'd have the mechanic check for a frozen fuel line or fuel filter before anything else.

9. cranberry

What on earth makes you think that the telephone company is going to intervene on your behalf in a routine AAA call? And didn't you say you had already queued up online? What's your big rush?

10. Smallpotatoes

I did yesterday and the tow never arrived. I want to make sure it happens today.
    No reason they can't keep a line open.

11. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

On what planet can you get a timing belt replaced for $200?

Beam me there.

Ace likes this.
  12. BurnsWhenIPee

BurnsWhenIPee Well-Known Member

What does "keep a line open" mean? If they have the capacity for 100 million calls, and 100 million + 1 call in, wouldn't it be a busy signal?

Or is it keep a line open for you? Meaning other people will get busy signals so you can get right through?

Draft saved Draft deleted