1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Tim Tebow ridiculed for Wonderlic prayer?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Steak Snabler, Mar 25, 2010.

1. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Maybe it's true, but the story/article is crap.

Who said, "shut the fuck up"? If you have a source that was in the room, this shouldn't be too hard to find out and report.

And no one is quoted on the record. There's not even any indication that a second source confirmed the "league source's" story.

Could you not have your "source" tell you who else was in the room and ask them what happened? Maybe get someone on the record?

Did he even try to get a response from Tebow before he posted this crap?

This is just some rumor he heard that he's passing along. There's no "source" and there's no story.

2. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

Kurt Warner also won a Super Bowl.

3. YankeeFan

His follow up post is even more infuriating.

He spoke with Tebow -- which makes me think that if he had tried, he probably could have reached him before he posted this story -- who's denied it. Tebow gave him the names of other players who were in the room.

He hasn't been able to confirm the story with anyone on the record.

But he believes his "source".

Bull shit.

4. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

If true, it's funny, no question. I would have liked for the writer to call one of the players Tebow challenged him to call.
    That said, Tebow is not going to meet enough resistence to his religious views to make a difference in whether he makes a team or not. There's enough God Squaders in the NFL on every team.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
  5. Small Town Guy

Small Town Guy Well-Known Member

Somewhere, Dan Shanoff weeps.

6. YankeeFan

I have a friend from college who would sometimes say some pretty dumb things. He'd say something before thinking about it first and he could come up with some great non sequiturs.

"I'm going to drink myself to Bolivia tonight," was one of his best.

The rest of us started to make up things that Tony might have said. Kind of like Yogi-isms.

You know, "Did you hear what Tony said? He asked how many quarters there are in a football game."

I think this is what' happening to Tebow. People are making up plausibly true stories about him.

But reporters should make sure they're actually true before running them.

7. exposbabe

exposbabe New Member

He'd have to take Tebow's word that the players he says were in the room were actually in the room. Then again, just ask him, Tebow is a man of character ;-)
    I believe it.

8. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

It's not news, but it IS funny.

Both the false story itself (I wish it was true) and the fact the PFT hasn't lost its pissing-in-the-wind fastball.

9. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

It wouldn't surprise me if the truth were somewhere in the middle. Tebow tells the BYU quarterback "Let's say a prayer" but loud enough for others to hear. Someone in the back of the room half-mumbles "STFU" and a couple guys laugh, but he's too engrossed in his prayer to hear or pay attention. So did someone stand up and shout "Shut the fuck up!" and get a huge Night at The Apollo style laugh? Probably not. But did someone say "Shut the fuck up!" so that a few others could hear it? I'd say there is a pretty good chance that happened. And then someone wanted to come across as the cool guy who slapped down The Jesusback, so they embellished a bit.

10. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

If Tebow wants to be accepted at the next level, he'd be wise to stop the holier-than-thou crap and start beating his girlfriend. That'll win him much more acceptance -- not only in NFL locker rooms, but from the good folks on sj.

11. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Seems like a plausible explanation. Tebow seemed to have no trouble at Florida being accepted where not everyone was a God Squader.

12. fishhack2009

fishhack2009 Active Member

I'll have a lot more respect for the Warners of the world when they start giving God the blame for the picks, as well.

"I'd like to start by saying that God just wasn't there for me today. All the blame goes to Him."

Not going to happen, but ....

Draft saved Draft deleted