1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Tim Tebow gets patent on praying

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Cubbiebum, Oct 21, 2012.

1. Cubbiebum

Cubbiebum Member

This seems absolutely ridiculous. Yes he made it a fad but he didn't invent the act of kneeling, bowing head and praying. Millions, if not billions, have done it before. How this was accepted is beyond me.

Tebow claims it is not for money reasons that he trademarked it. I'm skeptical of whether that is true but he says any proceeds would go to his foundation.

My only question, and it's not specifically addressed, is if this a trademark with his likeness used. If so I understand the patent. As the story mentions, some sites are selling figurines and the such with him in the pose. If it is a patent on specifically doing it rather than just the overall act of kneeling for pray then much of the issue is for not.

http://www.nypost.com/p/blogs/jetsblog/tim_tebow_patents_tebowing_2bMEC3lHwvGoJw7kQBfxgO

2. ucacm

ucacm Active Member

He didn't get a patent.

3. Care Bear

Care Bear Guest

Yeah, Tebow didn't get a patent. The headline on the story is wrong, if I understand the different concept correctly. He trademarked it.

4. Amy

Amy Well-Known Member

I read the article to say that he trademarked the term "tebow" not the act of kneeling and praying.

5. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

The lede of the story is wrong too, using the word "patent" and saying that's what he did.

6. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Yeah that's patently false

7. crimsonace

crimsonace Well-Known Member

From a business perspective, he needs to trademark it just so nobody can license a generic person in a green shirt wearing number 15 bowing down on one knee and selling "T(h)eBowing football player" figurines. Just lawyering.

8. joe king

joe king Active Member

Nicely done.

9. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

Trying to help a brother.

10. Cubbiebum

Cubbiebum Member

Not a big trademark/patent law person. Saw multiple stories that reported it as such yesterday. Wonder who was the first to use patent and have everyone else copy.

11. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

"I'm going to throw a patent on this busty chick."

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
Draft saved Draft deleted