1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Tim Tebow: Fraud?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Dick Whitman, Dec 24, 2012.

1. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Ah, the delusions of the persistent Tebow worshippers.

2. Dash 7

Dash 7 Member

One problem I have with this line of thinking is, we have one season of data to 'prove' that his teams perform better in games when he starts. Are we really sure that makes him a winner?

3. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

holy shit. a state high school championship ring.

Call Al Bundy.

4. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

We have a sample size at the NFL level that is far too small to be useful and we have the Jets sitting him in favor of some scrub nobody has ever heard of.

5. SoCalScribe

SoCalScribe Member

The Jets are sitting him ONLY because they are absolutely mortified he might have led them to a win or maybe even two, and then they'd have the mother of all controversies on their hands.

As it is, now they can ship Tebow off into the sunset and let Mark Sanchez's unavoidable 17.5 cap figure drag them to...something...in 2013.

6. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

I would go with "fraud" at this point.

NFL head coaches look at a starter quarterback from two point of view:
    Will this guy help us win big?
    Is starting this guy going to get me fired?

The 32 head coaching jobs pay about $2 million to$6 million a year. Many of these guys are out there "coaching not to lose". It's why they kick the XP at the end of regulation, momentum be damned (Jason Garrett, the ultimate "coaching not to lose" move of the week). Most hard decisions aren't about winning. They're about absolving blame.

I think Tebow is seen as a coach killer, not because of attitude but skill set. Plus you have to redo an entire offense for a guy with accuracy issues. This means, when he gets injured, the backup has to have the same characteristics.

This is also why guys like Tebow, Vince Young, Vick, Favre can't get a decent look or couldn't towards the end. Their play gets people fired. You get once crack at an NFL coaching job. Maybe two. Can't risk it with a QB like this. Then you're back to coaching linebackers at Valdosta State.

Only a Belichick could take a flyer on Tebow. Most of the teams with top tier coaches already are set at QB.

Come to think of it, Tebow/Vick might actually work as a package deal in Jacksonville.

7. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Or ask Joe Theisman.

http://www.tsn.ca/cfl/story/?id=412001

Tebow can't play in the CFL. The field is wider, it's bigger. He has trouble throwing the football. I can't see him succeed,"
    explained Theismann.

"If you want to play quarterback at any level, Pop Warner, high school, college, professional, you have to be able to complete passes. You can't be a sub-50 per cent passer and be successful in any league. What's Mark Sanchez's completion percentage?"

In case you've forgotten Joe played for the Argos, won a Grey Cup before he headed to the NFL.

8. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

Thanks for checking in, Joe.

But I see a 35.3% NFL completion rate succeeding up there just fine.

9. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Is there any evidence Ryan would have used him if he was "available"? He didn't say he would have.

It's not much of a boycott if the coach didn't plan on using him.

And, if Ryan dod want to use him, this would have been dealt with during the week. Maybe Tebow did say something out of frustration, but I'm guessing Ryan was either relieved, or didn't give a shit. Otherwise, you go back and talk to him the next day, and clear things up.

It looks to me like the Jets-Tebow relationship is over, and both sides know it.

10. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Denver was 8-5 at one point last season. Then they lost their last three in the regular season. That made them 8-8.
    What part didn't you get?

11. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Rex Ryan is unhinged. He's not that batty to purposely sit a guy when he honestly thinks he can win games for him. This is one of the latest Tebow conspiracy theories that boggle the mind. You people are about 2 minutes away from the loons that believed the world was going to end last week.
    But you wouldn't have had any problems with that, since you probably thought Tebow would lead you to heaven.

12. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

BYH has good instincts.

Draft saved Draft deleted