1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Tim Tebow: Fraud?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Dick Whitman, Dec 24, 2012.

1. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

I'm finding the nearest Grotto the night before that game.

2. printit

printit Member

Rex Ryan is an above average coach. No one was winning with this years Jets team, especially after Revis got hurt. If the Jets fire him they are making a mistake.

I could go either way on the Tebow thing, although it seems a tad hypocritical that he was mad about being bypassed on the depth chart when Denver bypassed Brady Quinn on the depth chart to give Tebow the QB job last year. But I understand the frustration on his part, so I dunno.....

3. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

if you do that you also have to ask what a colossal racial shit storm would have occurred had a young clean cut black QB led a team to the playoffs and a heroic OT win , only to be discarded for an aging injured white star. And then take a bench seat behind Mark Sanchez, a Tony Romo wannabe

4. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

Tebow's had four or five years now to lose that big windup and get ready for the pros. Bryce Brown is getting the same kind of lesson, but his challenge is to quit waving the ball around with one hand while taking on tacklers. Brown has better upside than Tebow, but they're both idiots if they can't help their own causes by working hard to fix their flaws.

Can they not see that? Is it that hard? They can't get that NFL money somewhere else.

5. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

Well, Jesus, they went and got Peyton Manning. That's an extreme outlier in any sort of replacement scenario.

6. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

"led"

7. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Starting at QB for your 2014 Hamilton Tiger-Cats, No. 15....

8. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

Impossible. Never in a million years. Just ask JR.

9. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

I've changed my attitude on this, mainly because Tebow has had his chances and hasn't delivered. And I know one of the Jets beat hacks and he still hasn't improved his fundamentals a bit in training camp and practice.

Two other things: 1. Elway couldn't wait to drop him when the chance to get Manning came along and 2. Ryan may not be a lot of things as a coach, but as prone to unusual and even rash decisions, I would have thought he'd have started Tebow at least a couple of times by now if he had a shred of confidence over what he's seen in practice.

Also, please stop with this "Tebow's a winner" horseshit. He's 1-4 in his last five starts. Denver had an 8-5 record (thanks to the defense and Matt Prater, and Tebow lost three in a row and couldn't put more than 7 points on the board against the crappy Chiefs. They backed into the playoffs, then beat the Steelers on a winning TD pass that was 10 percent Tebow and 90 percent Demarius Thomas. Next week, Brady took him to the woodshed.

Tebow was a winner in high school in college. He is not a winner in the NFL. At best, he's a halfway decent game manager.

10. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Isn't it possible that they told him he was going to be used, then stunk it up so bad in training camp and practices that they didn't dare play him?
    Promises of playing time depend on performance. Coaches play they guys they have confidence in. That comes with what they see in practice.

11. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

1-4 in his last five starts and 8-5 in games he's started do not make him a "flat-out winner," unless your standards of a winner are 8-8 and 9-7 records.

12. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

I'm sorry, how does 8-5 = 8-8? I missed that fuzzy math class.

And, as long as Tebow continues to have a winning record as a starter, and as long as his teams continue to perform better in the games when he starts than the games when he doesn't, I'm gonna continue to call him a winner. One of the winningest players in college football history, two college national championship rings, plus a Florida HS state championship ring, plus a winning record as an NFL starter=flat out winner in my book.

Now when his NFL starting record drops below .500, I'll be willing to re-visit that position. But that ain't happened yet.

Draft saved Draft deleted