1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Tim Tebow: Fraud?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Dick Whitman, Dec 24, 2012.

1. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

I was being sarcastic.

2. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

Although, when Scottie Pippin did it, it was in the final seconds on the game deciding possession of an Eastern Semifinals Playoff game. Tebow did it in a meaningless end of season season matchup between two teams that had both been eliminated from the playoffs and thus were playing for nothing.

Slight difference there. If Tebow had pulled this in a game-deciding goal line possession in the playoffs, I'm guessin the response would've been a bit more heated.

3. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I think the Jets were desperately looking for a reason to be able to sell getting rid of Tebow. I don't know if that is to the owner, the fans, the media or all of the above, but it is interesting how something that seems pretty minor leaks out...

They traded for him. They told him how he was going to be used. They never even came close to honoring that. I don't think anyone on the coaching staff had any intention of honoring that.

There's no reason why Tebow should not have been given a chance at QB this season. If he fails, fine... Players opt out of shit all the time, and wasn't it just a few weeks ago that Tebow was out with a rib injury?

I just think that, like with all things Tebow, too much is being made of this. I want to see the guy play. If he succeeds, great... If he fails, great... Let him go somewhere where he'll be given a chance to do one or the other, and if nobody wants him, let him go do it in Canada.

4. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

Who is to say he wasn't given a chance? Maybe he was horrific in practice (those unnamed sources say that he was) -- he certainly didn't impress in his game play.

The wildcat was far better when Brad Smith was running it.

5. Mizzougrad96

He was horrific in practice with the Broncos before the 2011 season. There were stories that said he was the fourth best QB in camp and if he wasn't a former first-round pick, he would have been cut.

6. Mizzougrad96

That same way of thinking got the Broncos to the playoffs last season. :D

7. Beaker

Beaker Active Member

How hard would it be for Tebow to change his throwing motion to a more pro style?

8. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

I think it's just never going to happen for Tebow. The NFL roster limits and the weirdness of his skills mean no team can ever build the one plan that ***might*** allow long-term success.

I do think one landing spot makes more sense than Jacksonville, and that's as the backup wherever Chip Kelly ends up. If Chipper is coming to run the spread with the zone read, he's going to need a few games a year out of his backup QB, and we know Tebow can do that.

9. Mizzougrad96

It would be interesting to see what would happen if he wound up on a team with a QB guru coach (not that there are many left) who could work with him. I would be curious what aspects of his game they would change.

Did he even get a full season with McDaniels?

What will be interesting is if the Jaguar rumors are true, I'm assuming Khan is firing Mularkey. Every indication is that Mularkey wants nothing to do with Tebow. I don't know if he would change that tune to keep his job... Knowing Mularkey, I would tend to doubt it.

10. Mizzougrad96

Tebow in Philly would be freaking nuts...

11. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Tebow worked with Tom House all last off-season and this is what that got him.

I think he is what he is, now and forevermore.

12. Pilot

Pilot Well-Known Member

Hasn't Tebow been a done deal to the Jags about a dozen times now? I remember they were the team that was supposed to draft him. Then they were the team that was going to trade Denver for him, on several occasions. Now they're going to grab him from the Jets.

Maybe so. I hope it happens because I like Tebow, but it just seems like people have been holding Jacksonville out there as his ultimate destination for a long time and Jacksonville hasn't made it happen yet. Maybe they're not interested.

Draft saved Draft deleted