1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Tim Stephens leaving CBS

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Moderator1, Oct 29, 2014.

1. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

so says the still-active Moddy Pipeline. Have reached out to Tim for some details, will post when I have them or he will post himself.

Tony Moss, another of their top editors, is heading to ESPN. So there may be some high-level openings there soon

Two good guys. I've worked with both, think highly of them.

2. RecoveringJournalist

RecoveringJournalist Well-Known Member

Great guy.

CBS Sports is in trouble. There's no question this ship is sinking.

3. da man

da man Well-Known Member

Fixed.

4. Wonderlic

Wonderlic Member

Stephens is a speaker at the national college media convention this weekend in Philadelphia. He's listed as a representative of Sportsmanias.com and APSE.

http://collegemedia14.com/schedule-2/

According to the interwebz, Miami-based Sportsmanias, founded in 2012, "is a sports news aggregator that combines a dynamic mix of 24/7 professional beatwriter news with team and athlete tweets, videos, photos and personalized feeds to meet every diehard's interest. The site for team inside scoop and social interaction among sports fans, complemented by a mobile app for iOS and Android."

5. blacktitleist

blacktitleist Member

wow.

Tony was my supervisor for the RapidReports stuff I did there a few years back. Loved working with him and the opportunities he gave me during the brief run we had before they pulled the plug.

Super-organized and a straight shooter. I wish him well at the Mothership.

6. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Some serious hemorrhaging going on down there. Best of luck to both.

7. Cigar56

Cigar56 Member

I think CBS Corporate lowered the salary cap for CBSSports.com. Sites like Bleacher Report have been way outperforming CBS in terms of money spent on salaries vs. revenue produced by the site, and the beancounters at CBS finally caught on. At the end of the day, it is a business, and that's the harsh reality the team in Ft. Lauderdale is facing now.

8. My free advice to SportsManias is to think about getting a new name.

9. Fran Curci

Fran Curci Well-Known Member

@Black dude with pompano: I agree on the name. Perhaps you've thought of something shorter, yourself? :)

10. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Maybe shorten it to S&M?

11. RecoveringJournalist

RecoveringJournalist Well-Known Member

Sadly. CBS Sports had started doing some of the things people have criticized Bleacher Report for. Why people feel the need to take someone else's story and re-write it with a CBS Sports byline even when credit is given is pathetic.

The people there with the best job security are probably the top fantasy people.

12. FreddiePatek

FreddiePatek Active Member

I'm guessing we go about another six months before CBS devolves entirely into a fantasy sports site

Draft saved Draft deleted