1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Tim McCarver leaving Fox booth after 2013 season

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Steak Snabler, Mar 27, 2013.

1. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

Those are two great observations by him. Unfortunately I remember the inane obvious stuff he talks about with Buck that just makes it unbearable.

They need to find a Collinsworth; smart, likeable, doesn't keep restating the obvious, yet spot on with simple language.

2. mpcincal

mpcincal Well-Known Member

Like others have said, McCarver has been incredibly annoying and insufferable in the last 15 years or so, but he was one of the best back in the 1980s and even into the 90s. He, Al Michaels and Jim Palmer made a great team for ABC.

To Steak's two examples, I'd like to add the first game of the 1988 NLCS. I don't remember the names of the specific players, but with the go-ahead run in scoring position for the Mets in the 9th, McCarver remarked that the Dodgers' CF was playing way too deep and the batter could dunk one in front of him easily. Sure enough, single to center that bounced right in front of the fielder just before he was able to get there, run scores, Mets win.

3. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

I wonder if a better PBP guy than Joe Buck could have done a better job of moving McCarver forward. Buck has always seemed like a plodder, and it's easy to get complacent if you don't look for new ways to inject life into the broadcast. A real baseball guy — Jon Miller again comes to mind — might have been able to do more with McCarver.

4. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

Miller didn't do anything to help Joe Morgan, who was much more insufferable to me than McCarver.

5. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

Yeah, good points. Both of them.

6. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Joe Morgan was a freakin' disaster. McCarver's shelf life wore out after the Deion tirade. Won't be missed.

Draft saved Draft deleted