1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Tim McCarver leaving Fox booth after 2013 season

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Steak Snabler, Mar 27, 2013.

1. joe

joe Active Member

Does Bob Costas make a move?

2. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

To do what? There's been no indication Joe Buck is going anywhere.

And anyway, I doubt NBC lets Costas get away while they still have the Olympics and Sunday Night Football.

3. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Highly unlikely the Astros will be good enough to be on Fox next year, even if he's only pitching mop-up.

4. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

I'm not going to believe it until McCarver explains it four or five times over a two-inning stretch.

5. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

If they're really going to replace him with Joe Morgan I'd rather see McCarver stick around.

6. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

He was the analyst for the Mets teams of my teenage years.

I know that the popular opinion is to hate him, but I thought that he was great. The nuggets of baseball knowledge which he stressed from game to game over a long season taught the viewer (or at least me) a lot.

7. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

Jon Miller and Bob Uecker. Boy, that would be fun. Even for just one year.

If Joe Morgan were to join Joe Buck, you couldn't pay me to have the sound on.

8. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Yes, he was great.

The problem is, his stories and nuggets that were so groundbreaking in 1985 — and make no mistake, they were at the time — are still the same stories and nuggets he's using today.

9. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Two good things I'll always remember about McCarver:

1. In Game 4 of the 1996 World Series, he said something along the lines of "Mark Wohlers needs to stop trying to get Jim Leyritz out with his third-best pitch (the slider). Leyritz has shown he can't hit the fastball." Next pitch: slider for a Series- (and 1990s MLB)-altering homer.

2. In Game 7 of the 2001 World Series, he said something like "Rivera's cut fastball runs in to left-handed hitters, sometimes resulting in a broken-bat hits to the outfield. That's the danger with the Yankees infield playing in." We all know what happened after that.

It's very true that the game had long passed him by. But he was great when he was great, if that makes sense.

10. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Leiter would be a great choice. Thank God McCarver is done after this year.

11. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

I haven't read this, but I have been told, by people I trust on baseball things, that it is quite good and informative.

True?

12. JC

JC Well-Known Member

You are friends with Joe Morgan?

I've never read it so I have no idea if your friends are correct.

Draft saved Draft deleted