1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Tim Layden's new nose

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Inky_Wretch, May 28, 2013.

1. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

SI writer on skin cancer and getting a new nose.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/05/27/booming/for-a-boomer-sunblocks-came-late-and-cancer-too-soon.html?pagewanted=1&_r=1&smid=fb-nytimes&pagewanted=all&

2. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

As someone who has had his share of sunburns in his life (including one that was so bad I had to sleep on ice), that gives me the willies.
    I use sunblock a lot more religiously now, but I hope I'm not locking the barn door after the horse got out.

3. Rhody31

Rhody31 Well-Known Member

Never really wore sunblock. Since having my daughter I've used it more frequently, mainly because I have to put some on her and I end up with it all over my hands. I may use it more after reading that.

4. Dyno

Dyno Well-Known Member

Just about a year ago, my friend's 42 year old younger brother was diagnosed with stage 4 melanoma. The cancer spread to his spine, brain and lungs. In the words of his oncologist, it was "a devastating diagnosis." He's undergone a whole bunch of treatments and is hanging on, but it's unlikely he will be around to see his 8 and 10 year old daughters grow up. I have no idea how much of this was just genetic predisposition and how much was that he was always an active, outdoorsy guy, with fair skin and who has been shaving his head for quite some time. Reading the Caring Bridge updates his wife posts is enough to make me slather on the sunscreen and spend as much time in the shade as possible.

5. SixToe

SixToe Well-Known Member

Probably like most of us of a mid-life age, I never used it much as a kid or teen unless we were at the beach where, gosh, it was sunny and bright! I've used it more regularly in the last 20 years and harp on our kids about it, but for me the aforementioned barn door probably is open. I expect to get some kind of something carved off my head, neck or face at some point.

A good friend of mine went in two years ago for an annual checkup. His doctor looked at a spot, did a biopsy, scheduled him for surgery. What was thought to be a 'minor' spot resulted in a 4-inch (or more) incision from about the middle of his ear down his jawbone. He's had a second surgery since then for a smaller spot. My pal bathes in sunblock now, but told me he figures if they already found two in two years he'll have more to come.

Blue Lizard. It's good stuff and even better sunblock.

6. JackS

JackS Member

It is a wake-up call, but I'm not convinced slathering chemicals on your skin is a good idea either. And even worse if you think that is the ticket to spend as much time in the sun as you want.

I had a couple of super-bad sunburns many years ago, but just try to avoid 'em now through clothing and otherwise limiting the exposure. No go on the chemicals.

7. mediaguy

mediaguy Well-Known Member

Jack, let me know next time you hear about somebody getting cancer from excess exposure to sunscreen.

8. Smallpotatoes

Today I made an appointment for a skin check.

9. This is a HUGE fear of mine. HUGE.
    I can no longer tan on my nose or the back of neck due to severe sunburns I suffered when I worked as a river guide.
    I slather myself with sunscreen when we go to the beach, play golf, whatever. I am hyper sensitive about the getting sunburned, especially on my nose and neck.
    I wear large hats to mow grass and cover outdoor activities now too.

Melanoma is a nasty bitch.

10. JackS

JackS Member

I'm at least as concerned about the "false confidence of" as I am about the "excess exposure to."

Good move by smallpotatoes on the skin check appointment though. I do that pretty regularly.

11. amraeder

amraeder Well-Known Member

Good. I'm a big proponent of getting skin checks done. My experience: You generally don't need a dermatologist. Your general practitioner can at least clue you in if the dermatologist should look at you (at least where I live, derm appointments are a bitch to come by, so not needing to see a dermatologist at first was huge).

I went in for a skin check 3 months ago about a red spot behind my ear (an easy place to miss with sunscreen, I'm told). Turned out to be a basil cell carcinoma. Not "major" in terms of cancers. According to my doc, it can't spread into your system - just stays on the skin. Had to undergo a Mhos procedure, and now I've got a bitching scar on my neck. It wasn't the most fun (they told me 2 extra strength Tylenol would deal with the pain after the anesthetic wore off. They lied. Of course, I'm a wuss), but it was an outpatient procedure.

I'm only 29. I had a couple bad sun burns - maybe 2 in my life - but rarely if ever got burned outside those two. I can't stress enough: Get your skin checked. I'm damn happy I did and I'll keep doing so for the rest of my life.

OK, PSA over.

12. Smallpotatoes

I had one two years ago. They were concerned about one mole. It turned out OK.

Draft saved Draft deleted