1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Tim Keown on Adam LaRoche

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Apr 13, 2016.

1. JC

JC Well-Known Member

Alma, I'm glad you know his wife and kids so well that you say this with certainty.

2. Mr. Sunshine

Mr. Sunshine Well-Known Member

Every man is a control freak when he's traveling.

3. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Nor did I say I was. If you're objecting to my use of "you" after "good odds," oh well, you'll live. (Or maybe you won't because how could I know?????)

You judge my motives as you see fit, which you already do, so carry on.

4. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

I'm glad you know me well enough to say I'm writing it with certainty.

I mean, we can go down the postmodern rabbit hole all day. Who knows anything about anything? Nobody? Good.

Now: Adam LaRoche is a control freak. The assholish thing he did to that teacher alone underlines that, and he even admitted it.

5. JC

JC Well-Known Member

I wouldn't think it was odd at all if my neighbors did something like this.

I know plenty of families, that go to their trailers and cabins for the summer and love it. Even their teenagers and wives. He may well be the controlling asshole you think he is, but it's ridiculous to assert that teenagers and wife's would hate this type of trip. Are you saying women hate the outdoors?

6. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

No.

But an unplanned, potentially four-month-long trip mostly spent driving around in a RV because dad's not playing baseball?

I think it takes a certain kind of person, man, woman, child, to want to do that of their own volition.

I remain dubious the son really wanted to be around dad all the time. Perhaps he's that rare teenage son who doesnt battle the ennui and desire to test limits that most American teenagers do. I'm guessing we wouldn't know the difference either way. Adam LaRoche has his own version of what Steve Jobs had: A reality distortion field.

Tim Keown fell into it.

7. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

I think that you have a somewhat outdated view of the relationship between teens and parents. I get the feeling that they are mostly buddies in 2016, particularly in sports families. (And I don't just mean families in which the parent is a professional athlete or coach, but families, for example, that plan life around Junior's games and tournaments.)

Also, the kid is 14, not 17. His dad was a major league ballplayer, a fringe star at one time. Seems like an OK set-up for him.

8. BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo

BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo Well-Known Member

Standing ovation.

9. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

That's pretty good, Dick.

10. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

11. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

12. Justin_Rice

Justin_Rice Well-Known Member