1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Tim Hudson: Hall of Famer?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Dick Whitman, May 1, 2013.

1. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Some SABR stuff if very good (batted balls in play is one) but stuff like WAR and this pitching matrix I don't like because of assigned point values.

2. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

So your "adjustments" to your metric are objective and based on vetting from outside observers ... and his are pulled out of thin air?

3. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Also, BABIP sucks. It's just a talking point. It's a number that's interesting to glance at, not something to actually sit down and think about. It means something significant within the context of DIPS theory, but it means very little outside that.

I don't understand why so many people who otherwise claim to hate advanced metrics love BABIP.

4. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

They like it because it's concrete. It measures exactly what it says it measures. The problem is, many people don't have a damn clue how to use it.

5. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

CC Sabathia thinks Devil is dumb.

But seriously, how did I miss this thread the last couple of days?

Where's NDJournalist when you need him to come along and put Devil in his place?

Is there a guy on this board who consistently makes himself look more foolish, on more topics, than Devil?

6. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

This is absolutely how math works. Forget the hundreds of hours stuff. Scribble down an idea, ask some people how it sounds, make a quick adjustment and voila! You have a formula!

That's how Pythagorus came up with his theorem thingy. "Hey guys, it looks like the long side of the triangle is twice as long as the short sides. What do you think -- 2a + 2b = 2c, huh?"

"I don't know, Pyth. Seems longer than that. Maybe square them instead of doubling?"

7. Zeke12

Zeke12 Guest

It's only practical use is to shine light on what are unsustainable streaks, so... Yeah, this.

8. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

I don't care if you're getting the best of me on another thread.

That's great.

9. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

I don't remember Pythagorus placing a score on one triangle over the other.

Sometimes I think people would rather play baseball on a laptop than on a field.

10. Zeke12

Zeke12 Guest

That just doesn't make any damn sense.

11. Uncle.Ruckus

Uncle.Ruckus Guest

Pythagoras.

12. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

You're the aspiring statistician.

Draft saved Draft deleted