1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Tim Hortons bans complaining customer for life

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Huggy, Feb 8, 2010.

1. Mystery Meat II

Mystery Meat II Well-Known Member

That's a season's total and a meal's total for Oliver Miller, in that order.

The Cracker Barrel credo is that if you can open the door, you can get served, eat an hour-long meal and dick around in the general store and it's all good. Pissed me off on nights when I had to close, but it's good policy.

2. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

Screw that. People who work in restaurants have lives too. They schedule that life around getting off that job at a certain time, and a customer who demands to be served at 8:59 is adding at least 30 minutes to that, maybe an hour.

3. Mystery Meat II

If the place says it's open until 9 p.m., it's open until 9 p.m. If they have a sign that says the kitchen closes at 8 p.m., that's one thing. Otherwise, why the hell would you assume that "open" isn't really "open"? And what would you do at a restaurant that won't serve you? Pee and buy a couple of Peppermint Patties?

4. RickStain

Dunno. But you have to cut if off somewhere, and most restaurants consider it a security hazard to have customers in the store after the official closing time.

5. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

If the sign says it's open until 9, why would you assume you can eat until 9:45?

If the grocery store closes at 9, you don't get to shop until 9:45. Why should it be any different at a restaurant?

And I did exactly that when I worked in retail; had people who wanted to come in a minute or two before closing time, and I told them no. They weren't gonna be done shopping by closing time, and I had better things to do than hang around an extra 15 minutes waiting to close.

People who work in the service industry aren't your bitches. They're, you know, people. Your precious time isn't any more important than theirs.

6. JR

JR Well-Known Member

He was sent a "No trespassing letter" so presumably he can be charged if he shows up for burnt decaf

7. Mystery Meat II

So if I go to a restaurant that closes at 9 and get there at 8:30, I should assume that it's off limits? Then why the hell are the doors open?

It doesn't have anything to do with making them my bitches. It has to do with the concept of living up to your store hours. If they make it clear that they stop serving at 8, then that's that. But I'll be damned if I'm going to be made to feel like an insensitive asshole because I want service when the place is open for business, just because I missed an arbitrary and unpublicized deadline.

8. RickStain

Are you going to complain if they throw you out the door at exactly 9 p.m., whether you are done or not?

9. Mystery Meat II

No, but considering I've never been to a restaurant that chases everyone at closing time, it doesn't really come up that much. Probably what happens when you go places where customers are treated like something a shade above necessary evils.

10. RickStain

In my experience, it's the ones with the lazy employees who will let you stay. Most restaurants I've worked at have a policy of kicking people out right at closing time (again, security reasons), but most employees won't follow through with it.

11. Mystery Meat II

The only place I've been that does that is Starbucks, and my understanding is that it's not a hard and fast rule. They won't serve you, but they'll let you finish your food.

The only other food-related hard deadline I can think of is last call and bar close, when you have to have finished your drink. But that's a state alcohol law, not something a restaurant or a manager instituted on their own.

12. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

I understand that the owner sent him that.

What chance would he have of actually getting it enforced?

Draft saved Draft deleted